• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Skills required to make website and android app

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Friends, Recently my sister visited our home and she requested small gift. She just started some business and wanted me to make some static website and android app for her
as she is short of money. I couldn't sya no to her but i don't know how to make a website. I am Junior Java developer mostly worked on server side.

With some google, i need to learn HTML5, CSS, JavaScript, Wordpress for static website and android programming for android app. Can any one suggest what other things requires?

Ranch Hand
Android Angular Framework Spring AngularJS Java
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you want to write an Android App (rather than just write a web page that looks good on a small-screen Android device), there are a couple of ways to do that. One involves some short-cut software with which I am not familiar. I cannot elaborate (I can only guess they are wizard-oriented), but it will likely come with lots of limitations. I only mention it because you should know there is that alternative.

However, this being a Java site, I will give you what I know about the "java-ish" way to write Android apps. That is, you would use Java, basically (legalities aside, that's what it is). And I would suggest using an IDE like Eclipse, or (even community) IntelliJ. You would need to download some tools, which roughly correspond to what a JDK does on a desktop app. A good book on the subject is Reto Meier's "Android 4 Application Development". My disclaimer here, is I have not looked at a lot of other books, and have only developed one small app which was more focused on OpenGL than exercising Android. With an IDE, you can generate a skeletal app and fill in all the details. The GUI part can be built by using straight code (not Swing or AWT!), or you can get a lot done with wizard/XML stuff in your IDE.

Once you have the tools and everything setup, your app will consist of a file called an APK (Android Application Package), that needs to be uploaded to an Android device. That's each Android device which uses the app. Hence there is an Android Play Store at Google, where you may upload such APKs.

So, what you are getting into, actually writing the App, the skills might be:
* Java
* XML
* Android GUI concepts
* Whatever is required for your specific problem

Be aware that there are different versions of Android out there. They have names like Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean. You can write forward-compatible code to later or older versions (see those tools, like the Android SDKs, SDK Managers, etc.), and you may need to turn on or off various privileges for the app, using an XML file within your application. Turning these on requires a user to tap through, giving their consent (and making them aware of what your app does -- a good thing ).

I would just suggest checking some books and finding one you can work with. The Reto Meier book is not bad, especially for getting you bootstrapped. But there could be better ones. I used other books through Safari Online (free local library version), but mainly that was about the graphics, which is OpenGL ES. There are also tutorials beginning at https://developer.android.com/training/index.html, which are not bad, but I have not depended heavily on them.

Good luck. A decent book will get you through this stuff. The tools I mentioned are all free, too.

Tushar Goel
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Foster.. Any suggestion for web site development?

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That greatly depends upon what you mean by "web site". For a static site, all you'll need is HTML5, CSS, and maybe some JavaScript.

If the "site" will need a backend, well, that's another whole can of worms and there are a bazillion technologies that could be employed.

Bartender
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
A small gift? For family? I got alarms going off at those words.

My advice: Say no.
People don't realise how much work is actually involved in putting together something like this. They think you can throw something together in a weekend and it will be perfect.
You admit you haven't done anything like this before - chances are while you might get something going, it won't be half as pretty/functional as what is in her mind.
It could potentially end badly.

However if you do go ahead regardless, my advice: Don't make a static website.
Or at least don't learn HTML just to manually make one for your sister.

Instead think about what the goal is, and suggest alternatives to accomplish it. Use tools that are out there on the net already rather than build things from scratch.
Ask her questions about the purpose of the business, and how having a web presence will help that business.

A static website is no use unless she has content for it. Does she have content? What is the purpose of this website? How will it increase sales?
If the answer is just "so they can find me", thats not good enough. Nothing there distinguishes you from hundreds of other people, and chances are the page would just be lost within the sea of the internet.
Are you really sure she actually NEEDS a website? Or is it just because everybody else is online?

Similarly: What do you need an Android app for? Thats an even bigger ask IMO. And possibly even more "just because everyone else does"

She wants an online presence? Get on social media.
Make a facebook group, a twitter account, a blog related to her business that she can post articles/updates to.
In my opinion any or all of those will be better than trying to build a website yourself from scratch.

Tushar Goel
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Stefan.

A static website is no use unless she has content for it. Does she have content? What is the purpose of this website? How will it increase sales?

Yeah she has content. Actually she is Chartered Accountant. Provide several services and having several government franchise. The purpose of the website to let people
outside the city knows. Her motive to display all the services and franchise she's having so that user can select appropriate to them. Then Either through Query page or through
calling her user can get their work done.

Tushar Goel
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

If the "site" will need a backend

No backend support is required

Tushar Goel
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Are you really sure she actually NEEDS a website? Or is it just because everybody else is online?

Similarly: What do you need an Android app for? Thats an even bigger ask IMO. And possibly even more "just because everyone else does"

Also, she's having some clients in different cities. She told me that's she's having hard time to explain about her services to them on Mobile. So, if some how
she shared some website to them then they easily find all what they required at one place.

Bartender
jQuery Netbeans IDE Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database Chrome Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I suggest finding her a hosting provider that has tools that she can use such as WordPress. Help her create a site that she can maintain or else you'll be supporting this forever. For free.

The site itself sounds fairly simple. It's what I call a brochure site. Just information like you would print in a brochure to hand to customers; no catalog of inventory, no shopping cart, no forums. It should be easy to create and manage with a good site builder tool.

Tushar Goel
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Kevin..

Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tushar Goel wrote:Actually she is Chartered Accountant. Provide several services and having several government franchise...

And she's short of money? Sounds oxymoronic to me.

I'm with Stefan and J.Kevin here. My old boss gave me a very good credo, which I've never broken:

Never expect a friend or family member to do for free what they do for a living.

So if you do decide to do this, treat it like a paying job and log your hours. And if you can't get payment in money, then get it in kind:
OK sis, I'll do this; but you can do my taxes until 2022.

See what she says,

Winston

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tushar Goel wrote:Hello Friends, Recently my sister visited our home and she requested small gift. She just started some business and wanted me to make some static website and android app for her
as she is short of money. I couldn't sya no to her but i don't know how to make a website. I am Junior Java developer mostly worked on server side.

With some google, i need to learn HTML5, CSS, JavaScript, Wordpress for static website and android programming for android app. Can any one suggest what other things requires?

Hey! As for me, to learn all of this so complicated, really, just find good website builders, and make it for money) I found useful article for me, read more and tell me what you think
Good luck

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
KT: welcome to the Ranch

Tushar Goel
Ranch Hand
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

And she's short of money? Sounds oxymoronic to me.

She just started her work separately. Its long story and this is not right place to discuss that. Anyway from last 2-3 years she is doing all our family work without fees..

You guys are correct. I will look on the tool you have mentioned. Thanks all..

Kamila Trumen
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Campbell Ritchie wrote:KT: welcome to the Ranch

Thanks
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic