• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Hail to the Sheriff

Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hearty congratulations to Peyton Manning, the oldest quarterback ever to win the Superbowl.

I'm sure the irony won't be lost on arguably the best bloke to ever play the position that he did it with the worst numbers ever by a Superbowl winner (13-23, 141yds, 0TDs, 1 Int; 56.6 QBR (40 points below his career average)), but now he can retire with all the things he's been panned for by the nay-sayers:
  • Two Lombardi trophies - the only player ever to do it with two different teams.
  • A winning record (14-13) in the playoffs.
  • to go with practically every major statistical record in the book.

If he does retire (and I certainly hope he does): what a way to end a career!

And in a sport known for its hype and bling and obscene amounts of money, he comes across as a genuinely decent, intelligent human being. I'm sure if he wants it, there'll be jobs waiting for him in the coaching arena or the front office, and I for one would like to see him in the commentator's booth.

But that's for the future: For the moment it's slap-on-the-back time. Well done Peyton: a truly remarkable achievement. And if you do decide to hang 'em up, thanks for the memories - even if, as a Chargers fan for 35 years, they've come at my expense on many occasions.

Winston

lowercase baba
    Chrome Java Linux
    • Likes 1
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    I believe that was also his 200th career win in the NFL - also a new record.

Winston Gutkowski
    Bartender
    Hibernate Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

fred rosenberger wrote:I believe that was also his 200th career win in the NFL - also a new record.

Very true, although he's still tied (I think) with Brett Favre for regular season wins.

Winston

Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    I tried watching the game; really, I did. But the 'commentary' drove me away. The majority of the side line shots were of the Panthers. The broadcast team was blatantly biased; the commentary was on what the Panthers needed to do, or on the things they did wrong. Seldom were comments and replays shown on what the Broncos did right. The half time discussion was how the game was Panther's QB to win or lose. I just couldn't get into the game. Point -- I had no idea who won the game until I saw Winston's congratulatory post (I played Fallout 4 instead. Wife watched HGTV and flipped back and forth to check the score).

The only part I actually enjoyed was the singing of the national anthem (even there, all sideline shots were of Carolina, with one or two shots of Mr. Manning interspersed).

Hmm, that sounds awfully whiny. I should add that I had nothing riding on the outcome of the game. I am neither a Panther nor Broncos fan. Being a Cleveland Browns fan is more than enough heartbreak that one cannot afford to root for multiple teams.

Anyway I was glad to see that Denver won, and that Mr. Manning may retire on a terrifically high note, setting multiple records in the course of game.

Regards,
    Robert

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic