• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

how can I set up AWS developer account

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi Andreas & Michael - is there a way for a developer to set up a free AWS account to become familiar with the various services through direct experience? is this covered in your book?
thanks,
John

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You can set up an Amazon account for free, but you have to provide a credit card number.

Minimal Amazon instances are free. Larger ones are billable, based on time and resource usage. You only pay for what you use.

When AT&T pulled the infrastructure out from under my old ISP, I ran my email server in a freebie AWS instance while trying to get back online again. You can do a fair amount of work even in the micro instances.

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think a free account only limited to 12 months.

1) Can I remove the credit account information after registration to avoid charging me any money ? service suspended automatically if over the usage limit?
2) Can I create another account after the 12 months with transferring my data and config from the old account to remain free ?

Thanks,
Raymond

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for your question, John.

As already mentioned it is possible to test some AWS services for free. All needed informations about the Free Tier are listed here: https://aws.amazon.com/free/

Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
And, just to answer the questions here, no you cannot remove billing after you open the account. You will not be billed unless you request services that are billable, however and there's plenty of warning when you are about to do so. In fact, you can even set up alerts just to be sure.

As a sometimes-impoverished AWS user, I pay very close attention to that, trust me. And although Amazon's own information is the authoritative source and subject to change, no I haven't had my "free" period expire.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic