• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Sybex OCP Java 8 Study Guide Flashcards Set 2 #63 #72, Set 3 #39 #64

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I think I've spotted some errors in the flashcards.

Set 2 card 63: "Name two java.io low-level stream classes used to read file data directly." The answer given is "FileInputStream and FileWriter". It should be "FileOutputStream and FileWriter"

Set 2 card 72: the answer talks about "The Files factory class". The term "factory" seems odd to me. The book presents it as an helper class.

Set 3 card 39: I agree that 2016–03–14T07:00–05:00 is 12:00 GMT and that 2016–03–14T08:00+06:00 is 2:00 GMT. But I don't see how the first is 2 hours earliers. For me, it is the 2nd one which is earlier by 10 hours. 12:00 GMT means noon, not midnight.

Set 3 card 64: "Name the two java.io stream classes used to improve performance when writing data to sequential disk-based systems." The answer given is "BufferedInputStream and FileWriter". It should be "BufferedOutputStream and FileWriter".

By the way, the errors on Set 2, cards 2 and 42 have been fixed by the test vendor.

Thanks

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Seb Cano wrote:Set 2 card 63: "Name two java.io low-level stream classes used to read file data directly." The answer given is "FileInputStream and FileWriter". It should be "FileOutputStream and FileWriter"

Agreed.

Seb Cano wrote:Set 2 card 72: the answer talks about "The Files factory class". The term "factory" seems odd to me. The book presents it as an helper class.

Noted in our private list. It would be better to be consistent.

Seb Cano wrote:Set 3 card 39: I agree that 2016–03–14T07:00–05:00 is 12:00 GMT and that 2016–03–14T08:00+06:00 is 2:00 GMT. But I don't see how the first is 2 hours earliers. For me, it is the 2nd one which is earlier by 10 hours. 12:00 GMT means noon, not midnight.

You are correct. American's are really bad at 24 hour date math. Myself included .

Seb Cano wrote:Set 3 card 64: "Name the two java.io stream classes used to improve performance when writing data to sequential disk-based systems." The answer given is "BufferedInputStream and FileWriter". It should be "BufferedOutputStream and FileWriter".

Agreed!

Seb Cano wrote:By the way, the errors on Set 2, cards 2 and 42 have been fixed by the test vendor.

Thanks for noticing! I've been really busy since January. (I mentor the programmers on a robotics team and the robot was due last week.) So I never checked back after reporting the original errors to Sybex. Later this month, I'll do another pass to see what else they corrected and report the batch of new errors.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi
I'm new to Java and i don't want to learn incorrectly.
Really direct read in Java is done by  "FileOutputStream and FileWriter"

Set 2 card 63: "Name two java.io low-level stream classes used to read file data directly." The answer given is "FileInputStream and FileWriter". It should be "FileOutputStream and FileWriter"

Regards,
jml

Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
First that question should say "write" not "read". (I've added that to the errata and credited you.)

For the answer, you are correct it is FileOutputStream and FileWriter. I don't know where FileInputStream came from. We didn't even have that in our drafts! So I'm guessing someone meant well and "fixed" it when rendering in the flashcard system.

Today you are you, that is turer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you! - Seuss. Tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic