• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

JText Component Question

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
So I'm working on making a small chat client. The area where you display different user messages I originally had as a JTextArea. I realized that (to my knowledge), I can't change the color of specific Strings in the component without changing the color of all the text. Such as Usernames, specific words, etc.

A little research shows that JTextPane allows you to modify Strings apart from others. However, it doesn't have the append() method from JTextArea which allows me to add text directly after that last line. I didn't see that JTextPane inherited any type of method such as that.

If someone could give me some pointers on how add messages one after another without an append() method in JTextPane?
Or maybe there's something I'm missing? Completely different text component that I can use?

Thanks guys.

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
use getDocument() to get the document, the default is a DefaultStyledDocument. then see its inherited insertString() method (from AbstractDocument)

Ben Jass
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
So this behaves the same as a JTextPane or a Swing component, I can add a ScrollPane to it? Where I can modify Strings? Can be directly added to a JPanel?

I see insertString(offset, string, attribute), is the attribute parameter where I would insert something like Color.BLUE? The offset is simply the location?

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm guessing you haven't read the tutorial. It's not going to be easy learning about a complex tool like JTextPane by asking random questions on a forum. I strongly recommend reading the tutorial and playing around with the examples it provides to see what you can make them do. That's how I learn about Java features which I haven't run into before.

Tutorial: How to Use Editor Panes and Text Panes

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic