• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Give me a roadmap, please. JSP/Servlet to solve a simple web task

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Good day, All!
I can't understand which way I have to go in order to solve simple HTML task with JAVA? Shall I read JSP/Servlet books? Or HTML? For example, we have JSP where a list is displayed.

If I have to add new list item NewNameHere I have somehow change the HTML code in runtime or what? Because then the list looks like:

It means that HTML-code of JSP must be changed, am I right? Could one advise what to read on this topic? From what step shall I start? HTML, JSP, Servlet or something else?
I see it's some kind of a silly question but I tried this, that and now there is a mess in my head. And each book 700 pages or more, so I it would be great to spend time on proper book.
Now I'm reading Basham B Sierra K_Bates B_Head First Servlets and JSP_2nd Edition_A BrainFriendly Guide_ 2008. I went through 5 chapters and not sure if I will find the answer to question in this book. Or shall I be patient and read it to the end?
Any advice will help!
Thanks!

Rancher
Netbeans IDE Oracle MySQL Database Tomcat Server C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I find the index to be most helpful in any book over 100 pages. I was an MS developer for quite a while, and back in the day, if the book was 1000 pages long, then you had maybe 4 or 5 pages of actual information; the rest was just a bunch of fluff and nonsense.

When I was doing most of my JS and JSP's I found that a strong understanding of HTLM was very advantageous, but to solve my dynamic webpage problems I had to become fairly good in JS. So, IMO, they go hand in hand. Web based programming, that is based in HTML, needs to be done by someone that has good HTML skills to set things up, but you're going to need the JS skill to solve the problem.

Usually to get by in a pinch I just google what I want to know and I have the answer in about 2 or 3 seconds.

Have you ever used JS to build your HTML? That is probably what you are going to need to do.

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
A JSP is just a template for an HTML page. So if all you need to change is the HTML, you can change it right there in the JSP page and it will be reflected in the generated HTML page that is sent to the browser.

For an overview of how JSP works read this article -- it's not 700 pages.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic