• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What does your desktop look like?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I know it probably sounds sad, but I have always been interested in what other people's desktops look like.

As you can see, mine is very clutter free - some people have their whole desktop covered with shortcuts, that would really bother me!

As for the cat, it's a cat that I really love. Sadly, I don't live with him anymore. Sigh.

Desktop.jpg
[Thumbnail for Desktop.jpg]

Bartender
Oracle Notepad Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My Windows box has a black background with no icons, just the bar on bottom (of one monitor). I only place icons on my desktop when i want to annoy myself enough to do something about it.
Untitled.png
[Thumbnail for Untitled.png]
desktop

Ahmed Bin S
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Brian Tkatch wrote:My Windows box has a black background with no icons, just the bar on bottom (of one monitor). I only place icons on my desktop when i want to annoy myself enough to do something about it.

Well I was about to say that is the most boring desktop I have seen in my entire life, but then again ...

http://www.tate.org.uk/art/research-publications/the-sublime/philip-shaw-kasimir-malevichs-black-square-r1141459

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My desktop has this picture as its background: Eyjafjallajokull volcano with lightning. It has shortcuts for various applications down the lefthand side, but I almost never use those shortcuts because most of the applications I regularly use are on the Windows task bar (which also goes down the lefthand side, rather than across the bottom).

Brian Tkatch
Bartender
Oracle Notepad Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ahmed Bin S wrote:Well I was about to say that is the most boring desktop I have seen in my entire life

That's my office Win 7 box. At home, my XP box has only one screen, but has a few icons. My brother uses that computer and stored stuff on the desktop (grr...) and i put a few folders there for odin3 and related files when flashing android devices. Being i rarely use the box, i'm much to lazy to find the "right" directory for it and then make a start menu shortcut and so on. My max is completely different, and has a background, with a couple icons that wine put there. They're going away though now that DiabloII (with last week's patch) runs natively on current versions of OSX.

Speaking of that, Outlook won't work for me here, and it probably is not going to work until i reboot. So for the past couple weeks, i've been using OWA. And, just like my gmail inbox, it's kept empty unless i need to annoy or remind myself about something. So, my "desktop" looks more like this, without the start menu up. I like a neatly organized start menu, which is used when i want to run something that doesn't have a keyboard shortcut assigned to it.
Untitled2.png
[Thumbnail for Untitled2.png]
desktop2

Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ahmed Bin S wrote:http://www.tate.org.uk/art/research-publications/the-sublime/philip-shaw-kasimir-malevichs-black-square-r1141459

I have to admit I'm an admirer of Malevich' work...

My home desktop is pretty much geared towards the few games I play every now and then. The wallpaper is something I found around 10 years ago; I've always kept it.
Naamloos.png
[Thumbnail for Naamloos.png]

Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Paul Clapham wrote:My desktop has this picture as its background: Eyjafjallajokull volcano with lightning.

At home, I have to admit, I often have a tasteful scantily-clad lady - usually Japanese. Reminds me of a few girlfriends back in Vancouver.

At work, I like J.M.W. Turner. Example;

@Paul: If you like apocalyptic pictures, check out John Martin.

Winston

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I guess whatever the OS X default is ... I'm not sure, I never see it. There are always enough windows open that the desktop never peeks through.

Brian Tkatch
Bartender
Oracle Notepad Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Bear Bibeault wrote:I guess whatever the OS X default is ... I'm not sure, I never see it. There are always enough windows open that the desktop never peeks through.

Ha! I gave in a while ago and let it be. I can only soothe my frustration by reminding myself it just isn't Windows.

Ahmed Bin S
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Paul Clapham wrote:My desktop has this picture as its background: Eyjafjallajokull volcano with lightning. It has shortcuts for various applications down the lefthand side, but I almost never use those shortcuts because most of the applications I regularly use are on the Windows task bar (which also goes down the lefthand side, rather than across the bottom).

Breathtaking!

On the left hand side, hmmm, interesting.

Brian Tkatch wrote:And, just like my gmail inbox, it's kept empty unless i need to annoy or remind myself about something.

Oh, I hate a cluttered Inbox too. I file emails away as soon as I can (i.e. replied to them if they need replying, or completed the task I was asked to complete in the email etc).

Stephan van Hulst wrote: The wallpaper is something I found around 10 years ago; I've always kept it.

Same wallpaper for 10 years?!

Winston Gutkowski wrote:At home, I have to admit, I often have a tasteful scantily-clad lady - usually Japanese

Ohhhhh - how interesting! I, at one time in my life, had Anna Nicole Smith as my desktop background. Hey. I saw her in Naked Gun when I was a teenage lad, these things happen!

Bear Bibeault wrote:There are always enough windows open that the desktop never peeks through.

That's another thing I am very minimalist about - open windows! If I am not going to be using something within the next 30 minutes or so, it must go!

Stephan van Hulst
Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ahmed Bin S wrote:Same wallpaper for 10 years?!

Well, I've had a couple in between, but I keep coming back to this one. I like it because it doesn't distract me (I like that it's a bit abstract, and the shapes are 'blurry'), but it does look cool and modern. I also love the colors.

I've also used the Red Alert II splash screen for a long time:

Ranch Hand
MS IE Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Brian Tkatch wrote:My Windows box has a black background with no icons, just the bar on bottom

High five Brian, I have the same setup I just have the bar on the top.

Brian Tkatch
Bartender
Oracle Notepad Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Adam Scheller wrote:

Brian Tkatch wrote:My Windows box has a black background with no icons, just the bar on bottom

High five Brian, I have the same setup I just have the bar on the top.

Awesome!

Ranch Hand
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I know some people will hate me for it, but I have a picture of a waterfall as my desk background. It is my silent protest against the scrum implementation of my company. Luckily my desktop is that full of icons my manager does not get it.

Brian Tkatch
Bartender
Oracle Notepad Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jan de Boer wrote:I have a picture of a waterfall as my desk background. It is my silent protest against the scrum implementation of my company. Luckily my desktop is that full of icons my manager does not get it.

And the icons cover the burning bridge?

Jan de Boer
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Brian Tkatch wrote:And the icons cover the burning bridge?

No, no, I do not have a bridge. It is a tiny little waterfall on a rock. I had other waterfall pictures before.

The funny thing is though, I am always the one doing the end of sprint demo. That is the talk after a certain period where you show your customer the results of the two or three weeks programming. I am the one programmer that does not fear speaking in public here, and it's my task. So the whole team, the scrum master, the product owner, the manager that introduced scrum here, and the customers are happily looking at my waterfall desktop, and nobody has ever said anything. I even once made a small hint, like: "Isn't that a pretty waterfall?". No reactions!

Addition: It a protest because I do not like scrum. It is not because the implementation of scrum in my company is like waterfall.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I like HP Lovecraft's stuff and my favorite story of his is The Dunwich Horror. I google imaged that story and people had made up some drawings of "the horror" appears to be, even though its invisible in the story. This one was awesome for a desktop background and matched up to the description in the story pretty well.

A sonic boom would certainly ruin a giant souffle. But this tiny ad would protect it:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic