• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Design Practice Question - Spring/JDBC User Authentication

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi folks,

I'm developing a Java application that will allow users to update information in an Oracle database via a Swing GUI. I know how to write the code that does all of this but I'd like to incorporate Spring into the application.

I've been reviewing the Spring and MyKong tutorials on using Spring to connect to an Oracle database and I've successfully got one tutorial example working. It uses an XML file ("Spring-Datasource.xml") to connect to its database. This file contains the driver information, the database URL and currently my own database username and password which I'm using to connect.

I'd like for users to be able to log into the application with their own Oracle database accounts (they're going to be updating/creating data in the database so it made sense to me to use their database credentials as login credentials for the application too). My question is this normally done? Because of the security protocols of my employer I can't create a functional database account with its username and password plainly visible in the XML datasource file that the application will use. How can I use Spring in such a way that users are prompted for their database credentials before they log in?

Bartender
Android Python PHP C++ Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There's nothing exotic about Spring beans. They are like any other Java objects with setters and getters.
Notice that DriverManagerDataSource has inherited setUserName() and setPassword() from one of its ancestor classes.

If you weren't using Spring, wouldn't your flow be like this?
1. Launch application
2. Show login dialog and get username and password.
3. Set the username and password into DataSource object.
4. Proceed to display other windows which use that DataSource.

Exact same flow when using Spring.

Simon Ritchie
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That's right, at the minute my application structure is as follows

• Login GUI with Username and Password fields and a "Go" button
  • Data Access Layer object that uses plain old JDBC to connect to the Oracle database

• The GUI has a variable of type Data Access Layer so when a user enters their details and clicks "Go" the application creates the Data Access Layer object which in turn connects to the database. If the connection is successful it opens another GUI and users can use that to update/enter data to their heart's content. If the connection is not successful then this information is displayed to the user.

I thought that the contents of a Spring Bean file were never supposed to change? Is that not how it works? Complete Spring newbie, I should add :-)

Karthik Shiraly
    Bartender
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Simon Ritchie wrote:I thought that the contents of a Spring Bean file were never supposed to change

I suspect you have misunderstood the role of a Spring context XML file.

In a non-Spring application:
    - you'd usually create a bunch of objects at application startup using "new <class>()" statements
    - you'd initialize those objects with values or references to other objects using setter methods

This is exactly what Spring does when it reads a context XML file at startup. It's the same "new" statements and "setMethods" expressed in XML.

After those objects are created, the application context XML does not come into play.
    When you set username and password on the DriverManagerDataSource object from login screen, they are set in that object's memory, not in the XML file.
    Spring does not modify a context XML file.
    When your application terminates, the username and password are lost from memory. On next launch, your user should reenter them.

Simon Ritchie
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Thanks.

I must have misunderstood the role of the context XML file, then. I was under the impression that it was used to hard-code things like database URLs and drivers.

I found an example of a Spring Bean for interacting with a DataSource object online

This looks like the jdbc.* values are created dynamically which looks like what I want to do. Where do those ${jdbc.*} values get populated?

Karthik Shiraly
    Bartender
    • Likes 1
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Those values are system properties (passed in via java -Dprop=value command line arguments) or from a properties file loaded using PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer.
    But they won't help your scenario because Spring loads the XML at startup which means these should be populated when application is starting up.

The only way to do what you want is to get the username and password from user, and use setUsername/setPassword on the DataSource bean.
    You can get the reference to the DataSource bean using appContext.getBean("<bean-name>").

Simon Ritchie
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Thanks again Karthik.

This is the code I used, for any other newbies reading. It appears to work as desired.

Karthik Shiraly
    Bartender
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    You're welcome !
    And have a cow for coming back and telling us what worked. That'll help others in future who come across this thread.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic