• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java printed magazine

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi there!
Does anybody know if there is any magazine about Java in Print? Just curious if something like this exists? I know there is Oracle Java Magazine, but it is only online..

Thanks

Walter Andresen
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Just curious why nobody likes to read well printed paper magazine about Java? I think it is so cool to have a real printed magazine with colorful pictures...

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It's not that nobody wants to read such a magazine, it's that nobody wants to publish one.

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Obviously nobody wants to bother with paper any more.

Walter Andresen
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That's weird. I do like paper and a lot of people do. Paper magazines feel good in your hands. The problem is that nobody tried to created a popular magazine about Java.

By the way, look at Bloomberg business week - this is a super popular magazine. A lot of people read it in the building where I live - I see it every day in the mail room.

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Despite being a baby boomer, I've given up on all paper things. Paper books, and especially magazines that arrive regularly, clutter up the house and end up in piles that collect dust. I no longer buy paper books, and gave up on magazines long long ago.

I don't even read a paper newspaper anymore, but read my local paper on an iPad.

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The Dutch Java User Group (NLJUG) has a printed magazine about Java.

But if you don't speak Dutch or are anywhere near here I doubt that's useful to you...

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi, to Bear's point, environmentally he is doing the right thing simply by the fact that we know many trees are sacrificed to provide us with print on paper, and the more people reading online the less demand for print (in theory).

But I agree with you Walter that the feeling of being able to flip through the pages of a paper magazine or book is still appealing, at least to me. Although one could argue that you can figuratively "flip" through the pages of an eReader, iPad, etc...

It puts me to mind of the "brick and mortar" versus "online" shopping models. Some people still prefer to go in person to a store and shop, while others prefer to shop online from the comfort of their home. Some people are simply happy to order stuff online through businesses such as Amazon.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Randy Maddocks wrote:
It puts me to mind of the "brick and mortar" versus "online" shopping models. Some people still prefer to go in person to a store and shop, while others prefer to shop online from the comfort of their home. Some people are simply happy to order stuff online through businesses such as Amazon.

I was walking past a girl on Tuesday, and her t-shirt stated "looks better online" and it really made me smile

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Randy Maddocks wrote:Some people are simply happy to order stuff online through businesses such as Amazon.

I'm on a first-name basis with the UPS guy and the mail carrier. With the exception of groceries, I do the vast majority of my shopping online.

Randy Maddocks
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hmm, there are many ways you could read that (pardon the pun).

Randy Maddocks
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Bear Bibeault wrote:
I'm on a first-name basis with the UPS guy and the mail carrier. With the exception of groceries, I do the vast majority of my shopping online.

Randy Maddocks wrote:
Hmm, there are many ways you could read that (pardon the pun).

Oops, my last reply was supposed to be in response to Walter's last reply, not Bear's reply. I was a little too slow in responding.

Bear: I venture to guess that the booming online shipping business is proof that there are many people like you who do the majority of their shopping online.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic