• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Using Maven to build fat-jar library.

Bartender
IBM DB2 Netbeans IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm really a newbie of maven, so sorry if this question is too silly....
As far as I know maven is a very good tool for managing deployment, build, and more important - at least for me - for managing JAR dependencies. Willing to use it in Java EE projects, I made some experiments and I have to admit that I found Maven by far more complex than I would have expected. Despite the fact that "complexity" isn't a good reason to learn something , I wonder if it may be a reasonable approach to use Maven only to manage dependencies and to build fat Jars (with Maven shade plugin), so that I can include created artifacts as library in web projects.
Is there anyone that used a similar approach ? What about pro and cons ?

Thanks in advance.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I reckon, never I'd liked to use fat jars. Although it can be easier to deploy (and manage), it hides the current libraries you are using, and that's solved with <dependencies> in Maven.

It is not complex Maven, maybe you need to think more functional than Ant (for instance).

Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Why would you want to use a fat jar? Modularity is good!

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm not sure what you're attempting.

If you're looking to product a "super jar" (Jar of Jars) that can be included into a WAR or EAR, that won't work. The enhanced classloader can scan inside the jars in /WEB-INF/lib, but unless you provide a classloader of your own inside the webapp then jars inside the /WEB-INF/lib jars will not themselves be scanned.

In Maven you can define a base jar that pulls in a lot of secondary jars as dependencies, but they'll all go into the flat library directory in the product being produced. Although not all people are comfortable with having a bunch of dependencies being fetched indirectly like that.

Claude Moore
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tim Holloway wrote:I'm not sure what you're attempting.

If you're looking to product a "super jar" (Jar of Jars) that can be included into a WAR or EAR, that won't work. The enhanced classloader can scan inside the jars in /WEB-INF/lib, but unless you provide a classloader of your own inside the webapp then jars inside the /WEB-INF/lib jars will not themselves be scanned.

In Maven you can define a base jar that pulls in a lot of secondary jars as dependencies, but they'll all go into the flat library directory in the product being produced. Although not all people are comfortable with having a bunch of dependencies being fetched indirectly like that.

Well, I found a plugin (maven:shade) which seems to explode jar grabbed from dependecies and repackaging them in a single jar... so there is no "jar of jars". That won't work, indeed.

Claude Moore
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

German Gonzalez-Morris wrote:I reckon, never I'd liked to use fat jars. Although it can be easier to deploy (and manage), it hides the current libraries you are using, and that's solved with <dependencies> in Maven.

It is not complex Maven, maybe you need to think more functional than Ant (for instance).

Well, as I previously mentioned, I started with creating a complete EAR (EAR, WAR, EJB and EJBClient) with Maven. I have to admit that mine was not a brilliant idea - I should have started with something simpler - but I wanted to be brave...
I found it overhelming, and still I'm not able to create anything working, while creating an EAR project with Eclipse is straighforward.

Without archetypes, the whole thing seems a jungle. With archetypes, the whole thing still seems a jungle... For example I tried an archetype (ear-javaee7) and I can't understand why it uses Java EE 6

Can you give me an hint on how to proceed ?

Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There's a whole bunch of archetypes, some in the main repos, some in odd corners of the world. They prototype many different types of projects. JAR projects. Web projects. Camel projects, on and on. I've even built a few of my own.

And within those broad categories, there are different flavors. Some web projects pull in Hibernate. Some pull in JSF or Struts. Some pull in Hibernate, Spring AND JSF.

And, unfortunately, many of them pull in out-of-date components.

An archetype is a starting point, but as often as not, I either build a POM from scratch or rob one of my existing ones. That way I (hopefully) don't have to put up with Maven's version of DLL Hell where I find what versions of Hibernate won't work with which versions of Spring, which log managers hate everybody and so forth.

Claude Moore
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Tim for your reply and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
At a first glance, I had just the impression that with Maven you may risk to get into a Jar Hell... but on the other hand I'm just a beginner so my point of view is biased by unexperience.
I'm used to use Eclipse Java EE project so a Maven EE project is a good starting point for an headache :-)
I was puzzled to see that some archetypes are out of date or - at least for what I can understand - are not working properly (why an archetype named ear-javaee7 when used creates a Java EE 6 project, so that I have to change manually properties ?)

I think that your approach with maven is the only reasonable: acquiring the right experience with it and then adapt one's well known POM files to start from...

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Different people have different preferences.

I like being able to build a single JAR with the Maven Shade plugin that contains all dependencies, because it makes deployment much easier. Instead of having to install a directory full of JAR files and carefully setting up the classpath, etc. I only need to copy one JAR file and starting the program is very easy with: java -jar myprogram.jar

Claude Moore
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jesper de Jong wrote:Different people have different preferences.

I like being able to build a single JAR with the Maven Shade plugin that contains all dependencies, because it makes deployment much easier. Instead of having to install a directory full of JAR files and carefully setting up the classpath, etc. I only need to copy one JAR file and starting the program is very easy with: java -jar myprogram.jar

Does it work even in a Java EE context ?

Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Claude Moore wrote:

Does it work even in a Java EE context ?

No, but you don't need Shade in J2EE. A WAR is already set up to act that way courtesy of the J2EE architectural standards.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Hi
The following example builds a single jar file from the pom.xml

You may try further as required if it is of use for making it fat.I tried the same but invain

Thanks
As
CRMK

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic