• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Can you blind type?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I mean using all your ten vingers and not looking at the keyboard?
I just wonder how many programmers can do it.
I was unemployed the first few months after graduation, and used that time to teach me that when I was about 25.
A silly thing maybe, but I never regretted it!

(And I saw our scrum master struggling with two fingers during our meetings.)

Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE Python Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I would consider myself of moderate competency at touch typing.

You wouldn't immediately think it's a great skill for programming but having to explicitly think about the physical act of typing is a distraction I'm happy to live without.

Marshal
Mac OS X VI Editor BSD Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, I can, but same as Tim, I don't think it is a must skill for programmer.

I learned blind typing back in 1998 or something close to that date. And I just did a test, results here (<- link). And the results says I am a pro (89 words per min), sorry Tim
I was typing in English (text never seen before), in my native language I'd do faster I think, as I wouldn't need to think about words too much in my head.

And yes, I use 10 fingers to type, each is responsible for particular set of keystrokes.

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, I took typing in high school. That was in the Late Stone Age so I learned on manual (not even electric) typewriters.

And I do find it useful for programming, although right now I'm typing on one of those tablet keyboards.

Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have Das Keyboard at home, which has no symbols on the keys. I could type fairly fast before I had it, but I would always look at my hands as I typed. Since I started using it, I became pretty decent at touch typing, except that my finger positions are probably not what they teach in typing classes. I use my left pinky finger only for the shift key, and the right pinky finger only for the enter key.

Bartender
jQuery Netbeans IDE Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database Chrome Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sort of. No formal typing class. When I was in high school, that class was for girls. Looking back now, why the hell didn't I take it?!?

I can type fast and fairly accurately, but I have my own "style" that's developed over 30+ years. I'm sure I'm not using the "correct" finger for most of the keys, but it works for me. Usually the only time I have to look at the keyboard is when my fingers are off by one and I have to readjust my hand position.

Bartender
Oracle Notepad Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm an advanced hunt and pecker. While i often type without looking (being very self-conscious right now), i often look to be sure, or out of habit.

Jan de Boer
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

J. Kevin Robbins wrote:When I was in high school, that class was for girls. Looking back now, why the hell didn't I take it?!?.

Is the headbang for not being able to blind type or for missing a chance to meet these girls?

Anyway, to confess.., I took language classes to meet girls! But after learning German, Spanish, French and Korean, I am still single.

Jan de Boer
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Paul Clapham wrote:Yes, I took typing in high school. That was in the Late Stone Age so I learned on manual (not even electric) typewriters.

Ha, yes, when I was fifteen we had a similar class with these mechanical things, you could hurt your fingers on those. I did not take it though. As an arrogant adolescent I thought when I grew up, I would have my own private secretary, and would not need to know how to type. That appeared to be adolecent wishful thinking..

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Not to save my life.

J. Kevin Robbins
Bartender
jQuery Netbeans IDE Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database Chrome Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jan de Boer wrote:

J. Kevin Robbins wrote:When I was in high school, that class was for girls. Looking back now, why the hell didn't I take it?!?.

Is the headbang for not being able to blind type or for missing a chance to meet these girls?

The girls of course. I am not a smart man.

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I use all EIGHT fingers (and two thumbs) to type. I am pretty good at the alphabet, but even after coding for years, generally have to look for digits/symbols across the top.

I can 10-key numbers on the numeric keypad without looking at all. 10 years of retail and keying in ISBN numbers drilled that skill into me.

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

It look a lot of practice but I think that I can type without looking at the keyboard. In fact, I am doing it now...

However, in my opinion, to be a good type typist, you have to be able to not look at the keyboard or the screen -- meaning just looking at the document that you are transcribing. In this regard, I am not sure if I can do it for very long.

Henry

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I also have my own eight-finger system and I can type pretty quickly. I learned to type on the Commodore 64 but never did a course for it.

I prefer a simple, regular keyboard. I've tried one of those curved, ergonomic keyboards, but I found it really hard to type on. Apparently it's not compatible with my 8-finger system. It's hard if my left hand wants to go to the right side of such a keyboard or vice versa.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I can touch type without looking at the keyboard or the screen. I learned that I did this when a co-worker came by a number of years ago. I turned around to tell her I'd be with her in a minute and kept typing. She noted this and I realized I was in fact typing without looking at anything.

(I typed this with my eye closed to check I can still do it. I made one typo.)

I can't type code without looking at the screen; just text.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic