• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How to do try now function running a new instance of an application

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I have an application I'd like to run a new instance every time someone need to try or buy a license of my application. For example, the link below start a new instante of MINGLE when someone need to try the application (https://www.thoughtworks.com/mingle/signup/). What are the technologies involved? What is the infrastructure necessary?

Best regards;

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well... where would you like to run this instance? And what kind of application is it? And how do you know that somebody needs to use your application?

The link you posted is just a website. I didn't spend any time trying to sign for their services, of course. But if that's all you want then you just need a fairly ordinary web app which supports users with login credentials.

And welcome to the Ranch!

Eliezer Reis
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

First of all thank you for answer.

The link I've shown is just a example of how an user "try" or "buy" a product of those companies. What I wanna you observe, based on simple form, they start a new instance of their solution automatically. There's no one coping an war to a wildfly or such kind of thing. More then that, their web site already do a desired subdomain for the customer. Basically, What I wanna know is what are the technologies or infrastructure behind of it?

Thanks.

Paul Clapham
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It's not obvious to me that any instances of anything are being started by that screen which you posted.

However if you need to support a subdomain for a customer, then you have to have the application interface with the system's DNS. For example Wordpress does that for its free blogging platform. (I'm pretty sure that Wordpress, which supports millions of blogs, doesn't run an instance of anything for each of those blogs. It's just a website with a million blogs in its data storage.)

Eliezer Reis
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Uhm ... I was searching on the net and I've found a post of exactly the same issue of mine.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34964420/server-architecture-automatic-deployment-how-to-set-up-a-saas-web-application

I suppose I should concentrate my learning on DevOps cultural and include more Ops on my Devel.

Paul Clapham
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I suppose that might help. On the other hand it's possible that you've chosen a "solution" which isn't actually the right way to solve the problem you had in mind, and now you're asking how to implement that "solution". We see that sort of thing a lot around here.

So perhaps you might try explaining the original problem which led you to propose this solution?

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic