• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Seeking career advice

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all
My name is yousef , and I'm a php developer in the first place +2 years of exp. 24 years old , but i took the decision to migrate to java EE as it fits to my desire of making large scaled applications and it has a lot of chances with higher salaries in big companies ..
I left my job so i have more free times to do the perfect migration .
As an experinced programmer but with another language with strong experience with oop what do you advise me ?
to be more specific ,, i will list my questions ..
- Is it better to get a certification in java ? if yes , is it sufficient to take the associate level (for me) or need the professional too ?
- What kind of projects should i do on my own to include in my cv ?
- what is the best way to practice java to master the best practices like OOAD and design patterns in java , what kind of projects should i do ?
- i started with java se to learn , but when should i begin with Java EE ?
- i found alot frameworks in java EE and some of them not more used by companies , so i'm confused where to start , which one should i master first , shall i master all of them ?
- as i have more free time to practice , i want to practice some projects to apply computer science algorithms and data structures concepts , are there any ideas even if they are ordinary ?

i tried to be more specific in questions as you always ask for ..

Thanks all in advance for contribution to help me

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yousef,
Many companies frown on long gaps so this is a risky strategy. You are likely going to be competing for entry level positions because they may think you interned at the PHP jobs.

A cert could help differentiate you, but it isn't sufficient. The professional covers topics you will need in a real job. I strongly recommend you put code on github. Any project that you find interesting is good. You should learn Spring and Hibernate along with Servlets.

Yousef Salah
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:Yousef,
Many companies frown on long gaps so this is a risky strategy. You are likely going to be competing for entry level positions because they may think you interned at the PHP jobs.

even if i have a strong working experience certificates ? , of course i might be competing for entry level if i have the same amount of entry's skills and that's fair , so i have to be good enough and prove that with projects in java on my own .
I know it's risky , but realy it's hard to migrate quickly to java while working .

Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Yousef Salah wrote:

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:even if i have a strong working experience certificates ?

Maybe. It's going to depend on the company. I imagine this is less of a factor for entry level jobs. But it could still come up.

Yousef Salah
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:

Yousef Salah wrote:

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:even if i have a strong working experience certificates ?

Maybe. It's going to depend on the company. I imagine this is less of a factor for entry level jobs. But it could still come up.

Because of the employment gap or because of the migration in the first place ?

Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Yousef Salah wrote:Because of the employment gap or because of the migration in the first place ?

Because of the gap. It might make someone wonder why you decided to transition. Were you fired? Were you a bad developer?

Yousef Salah
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:
Because of the gap. It might make someone wonder why you decided to transition. Were you fired? Were you a bad developer?

And i tried to do the transition while i'm working and didn't work for me , so i have to sacrifice !
and as you said , i have to prove my skill with lot of projects , github codes, etc .

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic