• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Relearning java skills - where to start/focus?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

This is my first post, I joined specifically to post this as I'm in need of advice.

I have almost 5 years experience as a developer, Java is the technology I have most experience with but unfortunately it was a few years ago and I've fallen behind. The projects I've worked on has resulted in me being a 'Jack of all trades and expert in none', I know bits and pieces of Java EE, Oracle databases, PL/SQL, Spring, .NET, Scala, linux scripts.... but not as proficient in any of them as I would like to be in this stage in my career.

I left my previous job 18 months ago for my new role where I was promised Java EE development, I was instantly put on a Scala project and haven't seen any Java code since. I am frustrated by the way things are going and feel that it is time for me to move jobs but before I do I want to start learning technologies before any interviews/new role.

I want to focus on Java EE/related technologies but it's been a while since I used them and they have all moved on somewhat. I feel that there is a mountain of stuff for me to (re)learn and it's quite daunting, I don't know where to start really.... which is why I'm posting.

I would be grateful if you could give any advise on what I should focus my learning on, I plan to get up to speed with the new features in Java 8 but also feel that I need to brush up on Java as a whole. I have used bits of Java EE previously and a little spring but would appreciate views on what I should concentrate my learning on?

If you could give a list of a few key areas that I should focus my attention on to ensure I have a solid grounding which would allow me to get a new role as a Java developer. Also any tips for how attack the mountain of learning I have, i.e. what topics to tackle first, would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance,
mdc

PS - any recommended texts, web resources would be gratefully received.

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Welcome to the Ranch

If you haven't programmed any Java® for about 5 years, try revising your beginner's books like HFJ. Also look at the new features of Java8, not only streams and λs but the new date classes, StringJoiner, etc.

You ought to ventilate your mind and let the cobwebs out of it. Use this cup to catch the tiny ads:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic