• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Registering the Observer in Obervable

Ranch Hand
jQuery Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I have a problem. I have a main application, which starts two services on two different thread. Service 1 is observer and Service 2 is observable. When Service 1 starts, I pass its instance to a singleton class. When Service 2 starts, I use reference of Service 1 from this singleton class and fire events.

Problem starts with the sequence of how Service 1 and Service 2 starts. On my local machine, the Services run in sequence. But on a server, it is going haywire. Service 2 and Service 1 run in parallel and by the time Service 2 is up, Service 1 is not available. And when Service 1 comes up, the fired events are already lost.

What is the best possible way to control it? Is use of Blocking Queue a possible solution?

Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hard to say without knowing more about what your application is supposed to do.

Regardless, using mutable global data is a very bad idea, especially so in a multi-threaded environment. Don't use singletons.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Opera Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yup, please explain more. From the little understanding that I got, I think both threads are not doing inter-thread communication properly, or probably you needed to implement some polling mechanism against some state of your services. If you are knowing what you are trying to accomplish, BlockingQueue might be a good option too.

s ravi chandran
Ranch Hand
jQuery Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Rajdeep Biswas wrote:Yup, please explain more. From the little understanding that I got, I think both threads are not doing inter-thread communication properly, or probably you needed to implement some polling mechanism against some state of your services. If you are knowing what you are trying to accomplish, BlockingQueue might be a good option too.

Yes. You are right. Till now there was no need for these two services to communicate. Now the situation has changed. And because I do not want to bind their working into any sequence, I have not added any thread controls. Service 1 does a type of processing, Service 2 does another type of processing. Requirement is that when Service 2 does a processing, it has to trigger an event in Service 1. This will initiate the processing at Service 1. But because these services can start processing without waiting for each other, there are complications.

Let me try to create a codebase reflecting this scenario. That should help in explaining a bit.

s ravi chandran
Ranch Hand
jQuery Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This is what I think represents my current setup. Let me know if any component is not clear.

Here if Service 2 comes up before Service 1, it will start processing events and sending it to Event Dispatcher. Event Dispatcher will update the Service 1 if it is registered by that time. Else the events are lost.

I want a solution for this issue.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I guess this should be moved to the Threads forum!

Stephan van Hulst
Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This is really just a producer-consumer problem. You can pass messages through a BlockingQueue implementation. Note that you shouldn't be creating your own threads. Use an ExecutorService instead.

s ravi chandran
Ranch Hand
jQuery Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thread creation is not under my control. I just wanted to represent that once the threads are spawn, its initialization and execution is independent of each other. A third party library takes the class names and creates the objects on-the-fly using reflection. It is only after the creation, during initialization that I get to use those. I do think my current design is way too complex. Hence my wish to use blocking queue to simply this.

Stephan van Hulst
Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, BlockingQueue is just fine for this problem. Just don't store it in a global variable. Pass it to your services' constructors.

Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Observer and Observable go back to the early days of Java; I wouldn't use them for anything at this point. A more modern approach would be to use an event bus, like the one that's part of Guava: https://github.com/google/guava/wiki/EventBusExplained. It removes the need to pass instances of your event objects to all concerned pieces of code.

Master Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tim Moores wrote:Observer and Observable go back to the early days of Java; I wouldn't use them for anything at this point.

Well, java.util.Observer and java.util.Observable go back to the early days of Java. They didn't really catch on and are not generally used anymore. However the observer/observable pattern is still around, and may be experiencing a renaissance in places like ReactiveX. It's not clear to me that the poster is talking about the old java.util implementation, or something else.

Tim Moores
Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Right, the pattern is still valid. The code specifically uses those classes, though, so I wanted to caution against that.

s ravi chandran
Ranch Hand
jQuery Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am indeed using the Java Util Observer and Observable implementations. Will check out the Event Bus. If we have this library available to us, will use this instead.

s ravi chandran
Ranch Hand
jQuery Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Planning to use this class in place of the observer pattern. Have tried running a simulation and found it working as expected. Only this, I need to use it as a singleton, as I do not have access to the object creation, I need to inject it to the services.

Stephan van Hulst
Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you're using an application container, you can usually inject your classes without having to resort to static variables.

What framework are you using?

s ravi chandran
Ranch Hand
jQuery Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Stephan van Hulst wrote:If you're using an application container, you can usually inject your classes without having to resort to static variables.

What framework are you using?

It is a custom third party library being used. We have a properties file where we define the classes that we will run and it uses reflection to instantiate them. Once they are initialized, we do our processing. The library doesn't have option to pass params to the instantiating class.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic