• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Sending email from java code in eclipse

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

i am using JDK 1.8 and Eclipse Mars IDE .
I have added Javamail api in build path and also tried to enter proxy details in Window-> Preference-> Network settings-> Proxy settings. In proxy setting , i set proxy ip and other details to connect to internet.But when i run below code, exception is thrown. Please guide me , how to set up smtp server in eclipse so that i could send mail from java code in eclipse.

I run this sample code to send email from my system:

But this code gave exception

Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Is there a mail server running on port 8090 of that IP address? If not, and you've never set up a mail server, it's probably easier to start by using an existing server, like Gmail.

If you're set on running your own mail server, check out Apache James for a start.

Marshal
VSCode Eclipse IDE TypeScript Redhat MicroProfile Quarkus Java Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Your code specifies that the host is 172.31.1.6:8090, and by default port 25 is being used.

Set the mail.smtp.port property to specify the port:
        properties.put("mail.smtp.port", 8090);

Neha Sud
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks a lot for quick response!!

I made change in default port setting as highlighted by Ron  and code is running but no result is coming on console now.

I suppose this line is not executing since next  line after this send message does not print text on console. So i suppose code enter into certain deadlock as eclipse shows application is running but no response is recorded on console.

Also , i have few other doubts in this sample code like , i have not entered password for mail authentication  So how this code works on authentication part. Also, IP  172.31.1.6
is proxy address of network..SO this also needs to bypassed to connect to gmail and send mail but this code doesn't ask for that credentials also.. SO this code will work then.

I found gmail alerted me when i tried to run this code by send warning mail in inbox but didn't receive email from java code..SO how to tackle this.

Ron McLeod
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I ran this same code substituting my own email server and To/From addresses, and it worked fine.

I don't understand the relationship between IP address 172.31.1.6 port 8090 and Gmail.  If you are trying to send through Gmail, why don't you connect directly to smtp.gmail.com?

Also, if you will be using Gmail, it is going to require password authentication and a connection over TLS (smtps).

Neha Sud
Greenhorn
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks again Rob!!

Actually, being new to topic , it took time to understand concepts that were highlighted. I made few changes in code like added authentication and gmail settings updated, lowering down security of my gmail account so that my device could connect to gmail. Thankfully these changes worked and code is working at my end too.

Updated code

Thanks again for explanations of queries!!

Ron McLeod
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Great to hear that you got it going and thanks for sharing your solution.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic