• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Transaction Times Out after 120 seconds in Session Bean Operation

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am using WebSphere Studio Application Developer (WSAD 5.0).
My Application has Stateless Session Beans. These Beans call Data Access Objects (DAOs) for Database Operations (DB used is Oracle 8). In a particular bean's method, the Database operations to be done are huge and take some time in minutes (large no. of record updates).
However after 120 seconds, the WSAD server console gives a message saying
"Transaction XXXXXXX has timed out after 120 seconds"
which leaves the Bean operation incomplete.
The Session Bean used is Stateless and has Container Managed Transaction.
Is 120 seconds the default value for Container Managed Transaction to timeout?
Is this value configurable?
Please advice.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, the transaction timeout is editable within WSAD, but only by using the WebSphere Administration console. In WSAD, pick your WebSphere server and make sure the "Enable Administration console" box is checked. Then start your server. Then open a browser and type http://localhost:9090/admin to open the admin console.
In the Admin console, pick the Servers tree and select your application server. In the Application Servers page for your server, pick the "Transaction Service" under "Additional Properties". On this page you can change the transaction timeout from the default (120 seconds) to a larger value. Make sure you press "Apply" and also that you Save your application server configuration.
You will then probably get a notice in WSAD indicating that your server has changed. Accept the changes.
Kyle

Chethan Kumar Baliga
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey Kyle!
That was very prompt. And which is why I was wondering, where the Configuration parameter was. No doubt, I could not find it in WSAD Server Configuration. :-) Excellent directions, thanks!
I am now able to configure the time out.
Thanks, once again...
Chethan.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Kyle,

We are running IBM WebSphere Application Server for Network Deployment 5.1.0.1 (Build Number: cf10406.04, Build Date: 02/10/2004) and we have the same problem as described at http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=180&context=SSEQTP&uid=swg1PQ72575

We get the transaction timeout message in the log
[10/18/04 14:11:02:729 EDT] 4bfd76cd TimeoutManage I WTRN0006W: Transaction 57415344:000000000000026f00000001d19858cf914fd558ac48b08499a1b7674c4a5331617349636973[] has timed out after 120 seconds.

but there is no Exception thrown.

Isn't WebSphere supposed to throw a TransactionRolledBackException or something when there's a transaction timeout ?

TIA
[ October 18, 2004: Message edited by: fred sword ]

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Go to the server perspective.
Double click there
On the configuration page choose EJB
Set your timeout value there

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am using IBM Rational Application Developer 7.0 and I have tried all above solution but it doesn't work for me.

could you please help me out I am getting same error every time i ma starting my application server in debug mode.

Regards,
vishal

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Kyle

Thank you so much !
This is the fastest and easiest solution i've ever found for a not usual problem.
Great ³ !!!

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you are using that server instance only to perform one particular operation then it is good to increase the timeout at server level,

Alternatively you can use the below transaction management annotation at bean level.
@TransactionManagement(TransactionManagementType.BEAN)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Guys !

I'm facing the same problem in the Websphere AS. Is there any other way to solve this problem? I'm asking because my environment don't allows this kind of modification(alter the server configuration), so I would to know if any of you knows any other solution.

I'm processing a file that have around 5000 records to insert into my database and I'm getting time out when the inserts still running.

Thank you guys,

cya.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic