• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

WAS 4.0.7 migration to WAS 5.1.1.3

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello all,

Recently I began the process to port all of our applications to WAS 5.1.1.3 from WAS 4.0.7. Uncovering the "new"/proper way to obtain/use/manage datasource connections, I have learned about the Resource Reference, how to use the Connection Alias, and the additional properties that are involved.

I have been able to successfully (for the most part) migrate data access for the first application to WAS 5. I am using the resource reference as well as j2c authentication. This works for 90% of the code.

My problem is that there are several components that are multi-threaded and that are having some issues. I have read that creating datasource connections in user created threads is the wrong way to do things according to IBM's current interpretation of the J2EE spec.

In the effort to identify possible short and long term options I was wondering if any of you could answer the following questions.

First a technical question...
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=180&context=SSEQTP&q=J2CA0075W&uid=swg21109248&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en+en
The way I understand the issue, WebSphere doesn't like connections being created in any threads other than the ones it creates. Is this correct? As a possible alternative to getting connections from within my custom threads, could I simply get the connection in the calling thread and set the connection into my Threaded class to be used?

General migration questions...
How supported is the functionality that allows a WAS 4.0.7 based application to run on WAS 5.1.1.3? If we have issues with the application, is IBM going to say "First, you need to migrate the application to WAS 5.x..."? Or do they provide some level of support to resolve problems with this configuration?

How problematic is it to have the various connection/datasource/jndi lookup warning messages to show up in the server log? Other than the need to manage the log file size are their any runtime problems that occur when these are being logged?

I appreciate any information you can provide.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
1/The rule of thumb with J2EE spec 1.3 is: Don't create thread in a EJB container (see specification at Sun web site):FORBIDDEN !!
2/You can find a redbook which may be useful: Migrating to WebSphere V5.0 An End-to-End Migration Guide, SG24-6910-01 (from V 3.5 to 5.0 and from V4 to V5.0)
Regards
Mouloud

Heath Lilley
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I forgot to mention that our applications do not use EJB's. We were seeing this warning from the Web Container.

I saw that user threads in EJB's are unsupported.

Official word from IBM WebSphere support is that if this warning is coming from the web container, then it can be ignored.

Setting the "logMissingTranContext" to false in the j2c.properties file, we were able to eliminate this message from the logs entirely.
[ March 04, 2005: Message edited by: Heath Lilley ]

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic