• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Tomcat Valves and the Session

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm implementing authentication as a Valve, and was hoping to have access to the HttpSession, so I can pass Attributes to the jsp. That would be really powerful. So I devised this code as a test:

It seemed that no matter where I located the Valve tag in server.xml, the HttpSession came back null.
Does anyone know - Is it possible to access the session information at this level? How?

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Just from a quick look at the Catalina Javadocs, I can't help but wonder if you're not mixing org.apache.catalina classes and java servlet classes too casually. It looks like it's possible that a Catalina request may be castable to an unblessed (and thus possibly incomplete) j2ee servlet request. However, there's no explicit method to go from one to the other, nor an inheritance path nor an explicit blessing for doing such a cast.
So the fact that it compiled and executed without exception may be an artifact of an undocumented internal structure, as from reading the Javadocs, I'd expect it to fail outright.
You may need to check the Tomcat source code to see if you want to do is safe.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic