• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Getting Tomcat 4.1.18 to recoginze my context

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Can anyone help???
I am trying to depoly a web application from a war file using Tomcat 4.1.18. I am running Tomcat as a service and am able to install the application fine. However, since it is installed and NOT deployed, when the service comes down and is brought up the application is not installed properly. When I install the application, I specify a context path via the Config File URL in the manager app. When I try to deploy rather than install, I am not able to specify my context file. How do you specify a context file (foo.xml for example which will contain the context for my application foo) when deploying my application? I am using ANT to deploy and install my application.
Any help would be MUCH appreciated.... :

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I had an experience were Tomcat would not deploy (that is, unpack) a WAR file if there was a Context defined in server.xml

This might be your problem.

Here is one thread that contains links to two other posts that detail this problem...

Natalie Rassmann
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Mike for your response, but it isn't exactly my problem. I don't want to put the context in the server.xml file. I have a separate context file (emdf.xml). This file contains the context for my application. I noticed that when I use deploy, the server.xml file is built on the fly; which I believe is part of my problem. When I use install, I can point Tomcat via the config URL to my context file (emdf.xml). However, with the deploy, I can't do that. My question is how do I get Tomcat to use my context file when I deploy if I can't explicity use it in the call to deploy....

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic