• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Tomcat: how to admin users / group / roles into SQL database ??

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi - I am building a user-group-role database on SQL server, and using Tomcat JDBCRealm to authenticate user logins to my webapp against this database (easy to set up - works well).
I would now also like to use the Tomcat admin client (in V4.1 and V5) to create and edit the users / groups / roles stored in this SQL server database - ie. to replace the tomcat-users.xml file which is managed by the admin client using a MemoryUserDatabase.
Has anyone tried anything like this, if so ...
1. Are there any "JDBC" or "SQL" UserDatabase classes I can use to do this (rather than MemoryUserDatabase).
2. If not, and I wrote my own implementation, what else would I need to configure to plug it into Tomcat ?

Thanks for any feedback ...

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I hardly ever look at the admin application, but wouldn't it just involve switching its web.xml file to use a JDBCRealm instead of a MemoryRealm ?

No coding required! Use JDBCRealm classes that Tomcat gives you, and that you've already used for your own application.

Been there. Done that. Went back for more. But this time, I took this tiny ad with me:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic