• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Installing Tomcat with IIS

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am installing tomcat on my Windows XP Pro Box with IIS. When I get to the part where it says path to JVM.dll when I enter the folder it says no java virtual machine found. It is there I have found it in c:\j2re1.4.1_01\bin\client\jvm.dll. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Author and all-around good cowpoke
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Tomcat is going to want a Java SDK, not a JRE, because it needs the compiler to compile JavaServer Pages. Perhaps that is what it doesn't like?
Bill

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I found that when I was installing, my JAVA_HOME environment variable was set to the folder containing the java.exe AND the javac.exe. While running the Tomcat 5.0 installation this folder path would autofill the setup form for me, but it would close with the "No Java Virtual Machine Found" message. I had to point the setup to a folder one level up from C:\Sun\AppServer\jdk\bin (i.e. the path where my environment variable JAVA_HOME points to) to the folder C:\Sun\AppServer\jdk . I wonder if this is what was happening to your installation of Tomcat?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Ninea,

While running the Tomcat 5.0 installation this folder path would autofill the setup form for me, but it would close with the "No Java Virtual Machine Found" message.

When you said "autofill the setup", I just wonder, did you use the tomcat executable version, i.e. not the zip version, to install?

I used the tomcat.zip to install. After installation, I set the following environment variables manually.
CATALINA_HOME = c:\tomcat-5.0.28
JAVA_HOME = c:\jdk1.5.0

Joyce

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thanks ninea..

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic