• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Apache HTTP Server VS Tomcat

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi there,
I am getting into ASAPI - Apache Server API and how it can be used to integrate modules with Apache HTTP Server. I also know about mod_jk/JK which is present in Tomcat to configure with Apache so that Tomcat runs on Apache Server.
What i want to know is -
1] Is there is any way by which i can directly integrate modules(perl or C) to Tomcat?
2] If i were to integrate my modules to Apache Server and then integrate Tomcat to Apache Server using mod_jk does that give me any advantage over using only Apache Server with my modules integrated to it.
3] When should Tomcat be integrated with Apache using mod_jk?
Thanks in advance,
Priya

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
1) http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/cgi-howto.html
2) No other module supports JSP and Servlets in the newer versions except a Servlet Conatiner such as Tomcat, Resin, Weblogic etc. All need a Connector to use with Apache.
3) Apache is finely tuned to handle serving up static content. If your site has a lot of html pages, gifs etc. Apache can do this with minimal server resources and should be used. If you want dynamic content provided by Servlets or JSPs, you must use Tomcat or another servlet capable contianer.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic