• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

tomcat ejb help

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi, I am totally confused with relating apache and tomcat.I 've only the idea that apache is a webserver tomcat also.but tomcat has the support for java technologies.Is it needed to connect tomcat with apache for setting up a webserever.one more question is tomcat has the EJB container? please help me...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well Apache is a web server .. serving files through the HTTP protocol.
Tomcat is a web container and helps you make dynamic web pages with Jsp and servlets, just like techs php, asp, cold fusion, perl cgi and so on.
Usually Apche sits before Apache to reply to users requests; if the request involves only static data like simple html pages or images, then it can handle it itslef, if the request involves generating dynamic stuff, then it forwards the request to Tomcat to deal with it..
Tomcat supports only servlets and JSPs.. For EJBs you will need an EJB container (usually called an application container) like JBoss JOnas or comercial ones weblogic and websphere

feroz muhamed
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thanks tonny
now I got it.but still the doubt, what is the advantage of connecting tomcat with apache, i think tomcat alone is enough and more am i correct?

Tonny Tssagovic
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As I said, you might have some static data, and Apache web server is good att it.. it will only forward the request to tomcat if there is need for dynamic data ...Most web pages have a lots of static data like images, and it is therofre a good idea to have Apache at the front.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic