• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Why would Tomcat send a STOP signal to the console?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,

I'm running a Tomcat 5.0.30 Server on Win2k Pro, and I've been experiencing some hanging issues where any servlet or JSP page that tries to write to the standard output suddenly stops working. On the advice of our System Administrator I tried hitting CTRL+Q on the console window, and it "unhung" the system.

According to the sysadmin, this means that a STOP signal, or something similar, was sent to the console. How could this happen?

Thank you,
Yuriy

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Could it be that you accidently hit Ctrl-S first? I think (Unix oldtimers will correct me quickly if I'm wrong :-) those two key combinations work in conjunction to stop and start output to a console.

Yuriy Zilbergleyt
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Ulf, thanks for the reply!

No, this isn't a one-time thing, it's been happening, seemingly at random, as we've been writing and testing the application, and I doubt we have been accidentally hitting CTRL+S. Also, the affect of the hang is slightly different from what's caused by CTRL+S. When the system is in our "hanging" state, CTRL+C serves to release it as well as CTRL+Q, and Tomcat continues on. But when the console is stopped deliberately with CTRL+S, CTRL+C closes the console window after all the pending output is flushed. Tomcat doesn't even catch this CTRL+C like it normally does for a graceful shutdown.

Thank you,
Yuriy

Yuriy Zilbergleyt
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, I changed catalina.bat to route all output (aside from first 4 lines) to a text files, and not a single hang so far. *crosses fingers*

-Yuriy

Do not threaten THIS beaver! Not even with this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic