• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

tomcat 5.5.9 and Eclipse remote server debugging

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hello All:

I am trying to set up remote debugging with Tomcat 5.5.9 and Nitrox.
I do not launch Tomcat from within Nitrox.
I run tomcat separately from the bin folder.
I run tomcat5w.

I have created a remote java application under run debug in nitrox to debug a particular java application, but it is not working at all, as soon as I try to lauch this debug, it gives me 'Connection refused' error.

has anyone setup remote debugging, the way, I am trying to do so, from within Nitrox and using Tomcat 5.5.9.

Pls let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Kavita Chhabria

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You need to tell Tomcat to allow remote debugging. Take a look at catalina.bat/sh, in CATALINA_HOME/bin. Noet the variables JPDA_TRANSPORT and JPDA_ADDRESS - these have to be set for Tomcat to open its remote-debugging access.

I'm a bad boy - instead of setting these (appropriately) on the command line, I hard-code them into catalina.sh like so:Then, teach Nitrox to use 8180 as the debug-port.

Hope this helps!
Grant

Kavita Chhabria
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Grant:

Thanks so much for suggesting this solution, however, I am unable to located catalina.bat/sh in Tomcat 5.5.9, where is this file located, things are different in Tomcat 5.5.9, the steps that you have suggested, which version of Tomcat, have u tried them out with?

If you could kindly guide me to as to where is this bat or sh file located and how to add these variables to the file, I would really appreciate it.

i already know how to ask nitrox to listen at that remote debugging port.

Thanks so much,

Kavita

Grant Gainey
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm running 5.5.9 myself (among other versions - maintenance is fun...)

Look in CATALINA_HOME/bin. CATALINA_HOME is what Tomcat calls the directory where you've installed Tomcat - on my machine, for example, I have it in E:/Tomcat5.5. Underneath CATALINA_HOME you'll see /bin, /common, /logs, /server, /shared, /temp, /webapps, and /work.

startup. and catalina.sh/bat are in the /bin directory. They're the way to start Tomcat from the command-line.

If you have it installed to start as a server - then you'll want to add the JPDA_* options to your system environment-variables, so Tomcat sees them when it starts itself.

Grant
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic