• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Running a servlet using Tomcat

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am using Tomcat for the first time. My idea to generate a servlet using a button action in an html file.
First i created a folder named testservlets in the web apps folder with in tomcat and then i created a folder web-inf folder and with in it i have a web.xml file and a classes folder. With in the classes folder i placed the servlet file.I have the html file in the testservlets folder outside web-inf.
Now i have written a servlet file.Now i went to Conf folder in tomcat and set the context path.
Then i have the web.xml file and i gave the servlet name and the servlet class name and the servlet mapping. Then also gave the code to load on initialization.
Now using the startup file in the bin directory i tried to start the server.
Then i got the following error.
Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
Apache Tomcat/4.0.3
WebappLoader[/testservlets]: Deploying class repositories to work directory C:\W
INDOWS\Desktop\Tomcat\work\localhost\testservlets
WebappLoader[/testservlets]: Reloading checks are enabled for this Context
StandardManager[/testservlets]: Seeding random number generator class java.secur
ity.SecureRandom
StandardManager[/testservlets]: Seeding of random number generator has been comp
leted
ContextConfig[/testservlets]: Missing application web.xml, using defaults only
StandardWrapper[/testservlets efault]: Loading container servlet default
default: init
StandardWrapper[/testservlets:invoker]: Loading container servlet invoker
invoker: init
jsp: init
Internal Error: File /WEB-INF/web.xml not found

How can i solve the error. I saw one of the postings of correcting the web.xml file. But here mine web.xml is in /testservlets/web-inf/web.xml
Can u reply to arunpmail@rediffmail.com also
I dnt know how to see the postings and answers. Just went to google and gave this error and saw the posted page.
If possible get me a solution at the earliest as i have to solve it in a live project.
Thanking You
Arun

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic