• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

JBoss/MySQL search result size - paging?/tuning?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello all,

I have a webapp in the works running on JBoss 4.0.0RC2/MySQL 4.0.20a with HTTP being handled by struts. I'm allowing users to enter wildcard characters in a form, then passing the argument down to the persistence layer as an ejbql query:

<query>
<description>Flexibly searches for Proteins by name</description>
<query-method>
<method-name>findLikeName</method-name>
<method-params>
<method-param>java.lang.String</method-param>
</method-params>
</query-method>
<result-type-mapping>Local</result-type-mapping>
<ejb-ql>
<![CDATA[SELECT Object(o) FROM ProteinEJB AS o where o.name like ?1]]>
</ejb-ql>
</query>

So far, so good...

The problem arises when the size of my search result grows too large, on the order of >100 DTOs returned up the heirarchy to my struts Action. I believe the performance hit comes when I try to iterate through the Collection they are contained within and pull a large number of related objects back out of the persistence layer, as in:

Iterator myItr = collection.iterator();
while (myItr.hasNext()) addMoadlets( ps.getMoadlets(((ProteinBean.Protein) myItr.next()).getId()));

where ps is a stateless Session object and getMoadlets returns a collection of "moadlets" which are related many-to-many with the Protein objects.

The object design must be more-or-less fixed, so the questions are:

1. Can I adopt some sort of limited paging scheme to cut down the original collection size, and if so, how?
2. Are there tuning parameters available to me?
3. Is there a way to short-circuit the problem by performing some pre-filtering of the original query (WHERE clause - many of the filtering attibutes belong to CMR fields of Protein)?
4. Other ideas?

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic