• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Customize directories for deploy and tomcat.../server.xml

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I'm a teaching assistant for a course on j2ee using JBoss and I would need some help for some tricky configuration.. if its even possible..

Every pc has its own JBoss (4.0.4) installed and at one point during the semester the students will have to modify server.xml (.../jbossweb-tomcat55.sar/server.xml). And of course, they will deploy their apps in .../server/default/deploy.

To avoid modifying the JBoss configuration, (since it's used for other classes), is there a way to change the default path for deploy and the default path to server.xml ? They would instead point to their personal version of the files on their personel network drive.

I'm giving you the whole story here because maybe one of you might have a better idea than where I'm heading. Unfortunatly, we have to use the local JBoss for this semester (in a near future they will each have their own JBoss on a server w/ vmware.. then they can play with it).

Anyhow.. Is it possible? and if not, what else could be an option?

Thanks!!

bye,
Alex
[ September 20, 2006: Message edited by: Alex Turcot ]

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You can change the deployment directory, or add directories to the deployment scanner MBean, which is configured in the jboss-service.xml in the server's conf directory.

As far as Tomcat, I am not sure.

Mark

Alex Belisle Turcot
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Very cool!! I've added a new deploy directory to the list (even better than I thought, the original directory is still good + the new one).

Thanks!!!

I'm still wondering for the server.xml if anyone knows...

Regards,
Alex

jboss-service.xml:

Alex Belisle Turcot
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi...

ok, I've deployed "jbossweb-tomcat55.sar" to my new hot deploy directory which can be modified by the students. So now, they can edit server.xml at will.

Not the best solution... cause I would have wanted Jboss to seem out of the box for other courses... now everyone will have to have their tomcat in the new hot deploy directory..

Anyhow, seems to be working, but still if anyone has a better idea...

I tried including multiple deploy directory and duplicate tomcat in 2 of them.. so if anyone doesnt have it in its personal directory, it would take the default one... but the loading order seems odd

ex:

file:///c:/deploy/ seems to be deployed after deploy_tomcat/... whats the loading schema ?

Regards,
Alex

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

file:///c:/deploy/ seems to be deployed after deploy_tomcat/... whats the loading schema ?

That depends, and that is also the key word. "Depends" You see you have a sar in your deploy_tomcat directory and sars are the first type of archives to be deployed. And sometimes that sar is a dependency of other MBeans and are explicitly declared as such in the jboss-service.xml.

So while it may look as the directory order is what is important it is really JBoss's default Deploy ordering.

Mark

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic