• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Regarding Restarting of JBoss

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi all ,
i am using jboss as my application server and eclipse as my development environment .whenever i make some changes i directly put the compiled class files in the WEB-INF/classes directory. and will restart the server for each and everytime when i replace the .class files. Is there any mechanism where the JBoss will automatically load the replaced .class files instead of restarting because for me restarting takes almost 10 to 15 mins. and doing that often makes me sit idle

Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
James,

Welcome to JavaRanch

Is there any mechanism where the JBoss will automatically load the replaced .class files instead of restarting

If you have deployed the application in an exploded form, then you can follow the step mentioned here for redeploying the application. You do not have to restart the server.

james antony
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi thanks jai for your reply. as it is said in the link (Exploded Form) i have deployed my application in exploded form . that is it is inside a folder called "myapp.ear" and my web app is placed in a folder called "myweb.war" inside my ear directory. but whats my scenario is i used to do changes in some java files . i want to simply replace the compiled class files without restarting the server. but in the link wat you have provided just tells about the configuration files but not about .class files.

once again thanks for spending your valuable time for replying to my post

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is beautiful

Jaikiran Pai
Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
So you now have a .ear folder. Once you do some changes to a .class file in your ear(or war), all you have to do is "touch" (to change the last modified timestamp) of the application.xml file (which is present in the META-INF folder of your ear). Doing so, will "redeploy" ONLY your application, it wont restart the server. Is this what you were looking for?

james antony
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi jai , thats what i am exactly looking for . and i did as you specified just touched my application.xml file . it redeployed the application . but there are problems in database connections. my application has got a login page(the first page of my app) . there for the labels "user name" and "passowrd" we have custom tags which will fetch the labels from the database . But now after redeployment it shows null in all label field. and it is not even logging in because even logging needs database lookup. so i guess there is some database connection problem after redeploying. so let me try to look how db related activities are done in my app.

thanks once again for the reply . let me try this technique in some other app

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic