• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java Network Programming, by Mike Loukides (Ed.) (O'Reilly)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I bought this book a year and a half ago. It's good, but outdated. The author,
Elliotte Rusty Harold is a good writer and has been on the Java scene a long time. His web
site Cafe au Lait is one of my favorites.
He must update the site a few times a day. Back to the book review: I do still look stuff
up in this book. Mostly things involving network ports, etc. But now I have other books
that do a better job of that. It would be great if a second edition of this book came out
that included more on RMI and other modern Java network stuff.(trailboss Jan 2000)

This book is old (1997) but still relevant and VERY helpful. Harold emailed me a
one-word response to this message I sent: "Will there be an updated version"?
His response: "yes". I've been too embarrased to write back and ask my second
question..."when"?(cowgirl May 1999)

UPDATE - Second edition (August 2000)
A brand spanking new copy of an old favorite. Mr. Harold always seems to write
books that are way ahead of their time. Then things change, his book becomes
outdated and he never updates it. This is the first exception (that I know of).
He has an excellent writing style, so the concepts in this book are easy to digest.
I've read most of it already and forsee getting a lot of mileage out of this book.(trailboss Oct 2000)

More info at Amazon.com
More info at Amazon.co.uk
More info at FatBrain.com

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have the newer edition and found it very helpful in getting acquainted with java.io and java.net. As Angela pointed out this is very readable and won't put you to sleep. Not really an advanced book but a sound intro to networking.
- Sean

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
<pre>Author/s : Elliotte Rusty Harold
Publisher : O'Reilly
Category : J2EE
Review by : Valentin Crettaz
Rating : 9 horseshoes
</pre>
In a world where people and machines get more and more connected everyday, it is reasonable to consider the network as being an intrinsic part of nature. No matter whether it is wired or wireless, the network is ubiquitous and it wouldn't be exaggerated to state that 99.9% of all human activities heavily depend on it. Take the network down and get ready to experience chaos! On one hand, such a vision might trigger the scariest nightmares. On the other hand, this massive dependence justifies that we take network concerns very seriously and adopt a mindset that forces us to consider networking as a vital aspect of any information system.

This fully revised edition includes all updates introduced by the latest Java 5 release into one of the most complete and comprehensive reference about Java network programming available today. In order to show you what kind of support Java provides for making sense of all those bytes transiting on the network, the author first discusses some basic network and web concepts and then delves into more specific topics, such as streams, threading, URIs, client and server datagrams and sockets, asynchronous I/O, protocol and content handlers, RMI, the JavaMail API, and many other attractive subjects illustrated by relevant pieces of code.

Whether you consider yourself a novice or advanced Java programmer and you are willing to build network aware applications, don't wait any further and rush to your local store. You won't regret it!

More info at Amazon.com
More info at Amazon.co.uk

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic