• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java for the Web with Servlets, JSP, and EJB A Developer's Guide ..

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Full title : Java for the Web with Servlets, JSP, and EJB A Developer's Guide to
Scaleable J2EE Solutions
<pre>Author/s : Budi Kurniawan
Publisher : New Riders
Category : J2EE & Distributed Computing
Review by : Carl Trusiak
Rating : 3 horseshoes
</pre>
This book can be used to learn all the basics of Servlets, JSP's and EJB's. It provides great coverage of all the basics. From that point on it fails! Anyone creating a system using most of the methodologies shown in this book will be disappointed. It constantly demonstrates the things not to do. Especially in respect to DataBase connections. A mention is made on one page of DB Pools and JNDI DataSource then, every example has connections made in a haphazard fashion. JSP TagLibs are introduced and immediately follow by JSP Examples filled with scripting, including making connections to a database. In the DBBean example, the only thing preventing serious concurrency problems with the connection is the fact that the bean is placed in page scope. This causes the connection to be recreated with each page request. When EJB’s where introduced, I felt sure the author would use a JNDI DataSource, instead JNDI is used to lookup the Database information (such as the URL) and make individual connections. No attempt is made to demonstrate most of the performance enhancing patterns that can be used with EJB’s. Not a book to help learn to Build Scalable Systems!
More info at Amazon.com
More info at Amazon.co.uk

I guess I've been abducted by space aliens. So unprofessional. They tried to probe me with this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic