• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Building Java Enterprise Applications Volume I: Architecture by Brett McLaughlin

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
<pre>
Author/s : Brett McLaughlin
Publisher : O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
Category : J2EE and Distributed Computing
Review by : Junilu Lacar
Rating : 5 horseshoes
</pre>
This is the first of three volumes that will cover the entire process of building Enterprise applications with Java(tm) technology. This volume on architecture discusses the database, persistence and business layers.
I have mixed feelings about this book. I like it that the author makes a point to give reasons for making each design decision. But I think that he could have balanced the discussion better by citing more pros for the design options that he didn't go with. There is good coverage of accessing LDAP services with Java. However, discussion about other architectural issues apart from managing users and permissions are brief at best.
After giving an overview of the sample application to be built, the first hundred pages covers detailed database design (which I thought was unusual for a Java book on architecture), LDAP setup and a few select EJBs. The last hundred pages, a good third of the book, is comprised of code listings and platform-specific instructions to get the sample application to work. This leaves the remaining hundred or so pages in the middle for discussion of Java code to access directory services and manage users and permissions and, briefly, message-driven beans.
Other shorter discussions that you might find useful are EJB adapter classes and schemes for generating EJB primary keys. Apart from this, you will probably find this book a little disappointing. Hopefully, the next two volumes will pick up the slack.
More info at Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596001231/javaranch rel="nofollow"> More info at Amazon.co.uk

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I agree with the above assessment. I think this book was rushed to press. I've found several errors.
There's places where UML could be used and isn't.
Seems like there's an undefined data modeling language.
By the time one buys the three volumes it's going to be a significant investment.
Sometimes I think the author's style is annoying.
Get it only if you find it cheap and have spare time.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You absolutely hit the nail on the head. The only useful part of the book is on how to use JNDI to access a LDAP server. Beyond that, I wouldn't recommend the book at all. For EJB design patterns, get Floyd Marinescu's book.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I contacted O'Reilly about 'Building Java Enterprise Applications II' & III,
and they said, the authors cancelled II.

So it may happen, that there will be only the 1st book, and then it will be useless unless somebody needs to do LDAP and is looking for examples.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic