• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

C# for Java Developers by Allen Jones and Adam Freeman

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
<pre>

Author/s : Allen Jones and Adam Freeman
Publisher : Microsoft Press
Category : C# and .NET
Review by : Matthew Phillips
Rating : 6 horseshoes

</pre>
I like a lot of things about this book. The topics on the back cover are covered pretty well. It lays a solid foundation for any Java developer to learn C#. There are a lot of sample code snippets and they are explained quite well. There are quite a few tables comparing the Java API with the complimentary C# API to enhance the accompanying text.

There are a few things that I didn't like about this book. I found myself having to refer to the class libraries on Microsoft's web site pretty often to get the code running. Overall I felt that this enhanced my learning, but I would have preferred to get it running right from the book. The book really doesn't provide any kind of introduction to Visual Studio.NET. A brief introduction would have enhanced the book very well, but it is not necessary to have Visual Studio to run most of the code. A big negative is the chapter on database connectivity. To run any of the code you need to have access to either Visual Studio.NET or SQL Server. You also need to know how to use them. I found that to be a major drawback.

I feel pretty comfortable recommending this book to anyone who wants to use their Java knowledge to get a quick introduction to C#.

More info at Amazon.com
More info at Amazon.co.uk

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic