• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

PHP Bible by Tim Converse, Joyce Park

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
<pre>Author/s : Tim Converse, Joyce Park
Publisher : Wiley and Sons
Category : Other
Review by : Paul Stevens
Rating : 8 horseshoes
</pre>
This is a comprehensive book on PHP. The authors include many tips and warnings in the use of PHP. This book can be used as a reference on the many topics covered. All of the examples are available to download. The authors go into just the right amount of detail in explaining not only what to do but why.
I started this book with no PHP knowledge at all and was impressed with how well the topics where covered. It is a large book 39 chapters and nearly 1000 pages. The layout is great. The highlighting of the code, tip and note sections really make for easier reading as well as the font size.
There is an issue I have with the book. In trying to sell PHP the authors use a faulty cost comparison chart. The chart tries to show that there is no cost for PHP for server or DB while JSP either has a large cost or a cost range. The comparison is JSP using Oracle and PHP using MySQL. This is misleading at best and detracted from my overall impression of the book. I would have rated the book higher without this.

More info at Amazon.com
More info at Amazon.co.uk

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic