• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java Puzzlers : Traps, Pitfalls, and Corner Cases by Joshua Bloch, Neal Gafter

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
<pre>Author/s : Joshua Bloch, Neal Gafter
Publisher : Addison-Wesley Professional
Category : Advanced Java
Review by : John Wetherbie
Rating : 9 horseshoes
</pre>
This is a fun book that's educational, too! The purpose is to help the reader learn about traps you can fall into coding in Java through the use of code puzzles. There are 95 puzzlers with each puzzle and associated solution discussion running two to three pages each. Appendix A provides a quick summary of the various traps identified in the book and the puzzlers in which they appeared. Appendix B describes the optical illusions scattered throughout the book.

In general each puzzler has a very short description of what the program appears to do and the program itself. It is your job to figure out what the program actually does and more importantly why. The following page is a discussion of why the program actually does what it does. Important points and traps to avoid are bolded in the discussion. Note that some of the puzzlers depend on you having Java 1.5.

Bloch and Gafter want you to think about and be aware of the language features and APIs you are using along with having fun. Read the description and the code, determine what the code does, run the code, and then, in most cases, rethink your analysis. Then read the solution and think about what the authors are saying. Go read the sections of the Java Language Specification or other references mentioned in the solution.

Truly an enjoyable book!

Full Disclosure: I received a free copy of this book for review.
More info at Amazon.com
More info at Amazon.co.uk

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
this is one of the best books I have ever read, highly recommended!

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It seems you can never go wrong buying a book with Joshua Bloch's name on it.

Mark

Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I tried to download the puzzles's source code but unfortunately www.javapuzzlers.com seems to be down. I also tried Addison-Wesley's website but there is not code available. Does anybody know where else to get the puzzles' source code?

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
javapuzzlers.com seems to be up as of Sept 13, 2005. I downloaded the zip file as a test.

Author and "Sun God"
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Folks,

Thanks for all the kind words! Regarding www.javapuzzlers.com, it is Neal's personal server, and he had router troubles Everything's fixed now By the way, I plan to replace the present site with a fancy new one in a couple of days. The new site will have errata, animated illusions, and who knows what else.

Regards,

Josh
[ September 14, 2005: Message edited by: Joshua Bloch ]

High Plains Drifter
Netbeans IDE VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey, should we be changing that "Sun God" to something more current, or ya likes what ya got?

Joshua Bloch
Author and "Sun God"
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Three cheers for the Sun God
He sure is a fun God
Ra, Ra, Ra!

There, just had to get that out of my system No seriously, I don't care what you call me as long as it isn't "loser."

Regards,

Josh

Book Review Team
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
<pre>
Review by : Ernest J. Friedman-Hill
Rating : 9 horseshoes
</pre>
First, let's get this out of the way: you're not as smart as you think you are. Seriously. You don't know everything about Java. It's possible, however, that these authors do.

"Java Puzzlers" shows you more tricky corners of the Java language than you ever expected could exist. Not odd behaviors of obscure API classes, not failings of a particular implementation, but known consequences of the language specification itself. Each puzzler, written in an engaging and often humorous style, gives you a chance to figure things out for yourself before lowering the boom to let you know that, once again... you're wrong.

If you read this book and take its message to heart, you'll learn to avoid the dark alleys of Java, making sure your programs will never inadvertently become puzzlers for you or those who come after you.

More info at Amazon.com
More info at Amazon.co.uk

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE VI Editor Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I want to get this book, but first I want to find out: Is this book still relatively current?

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tim McGuire wrote:I want to get this book, but first I want to find out: Is this book still relatively current?

Actually it is. Because there really hasn't been any real changes to the Java language in a long time. The puzzles in the book also are very rooted in Core Java like the wrappers, primitives, Collections and Unicode, which haven't changed in an even longer time. So the puzzles are still valid today.

Mark

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I want to buy this book. How much is this book if I will buy it somewhere in USA?

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There is an Amazon link in the first posting. You could also try places like Alibris and bookdepository.

Happiness is not a goal ... it's a by-product of a life well lived - Eleanor Roosevelt. Tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic