• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Continuous Integration by Paul Duvall, Steve Matyas, Andrew Glover

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
<pre>Author/s : Paul Duvall, Steve Matyas, Andrew Glover
Publisher : Addison-Wesley
Category : Project management, Process and Best Practices
Review by : Jeanne Boyarsky
Rating : 10 horseshoes
</pre>
"Continuous Integration" is part of the Addison Wesley series. This series includes books like "Refactoring to Patterns". "Continuous Integration" definitely meets the standards of this series.

Each chapter describes CI related practices. There is a chapter dedicated to risks reduced by CI including anti-patterns like "It works on my machine." Each chapter ends with questions to get you thinking about CI in YOUR process. I particularly like how the authors address the "CI is good but my project is special" problem.

The authors give examples in different languages including Java, .NET and Ruby. The appendices on resources and tools are very useful. The book goes beyond CI and addresses continuous inspection and deployment. My only problem when reading the book is that I forgot I was supposed to be writing a review. It was so good, I just got caught up in the book!

Do check out the companion website integratebutton.com. It currently contains video examples of three practices described in the book. The materials are presented in slide and diagram format. It reinforced the book nicely because it was like a guru explaining his experiences. It also goes into much more detail than the book has room for on each topic.

This is an excellent book and the website adds to it!

* For the JavaRanchers reading this, the first sentence in the book is a quote from Kathy Sierra.

More info at Amazon.com
More info at Amazon.co.uk

[edited to fix typos]
[ August 25, 2007: Message edited by: Jeanne Boyarsky ]

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic