• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Clean Code by Robert C Martin

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
<pre>Author/s : Robert C Martin
Publisher : Prentice Hall
Category : TBD
Review by : Jeanne Boyarsky
Rating : 9 horseshoes
</pre>
�Clean Code� focuses on how to write �good� code. Where �good� is defined as being easy for others to read and maintain. It's not that I disagree with the definition of �good� here. The quotes are because 'bad� code is easier to identify. Then there is �good� code and really �great� code. The code in this book is what we should aspire to write.

There are three main sections to the book. The first describes principles with examples. I liked this section best including the chapters written by other experts. The third is the actual �smells and heuristics.� While they are good, they were so short they wound up being a summary.

The second section is the case studies. Martin warns up front that this will involve a lot of reading code and cross referencing. I had trouble with flipping back and forth between the chapter, rules and an appendix at the same time. So much flipping was disruptive to my train of thought � even with three bookmarks.

Martin is good about referencing other related titles such as �Implementation Patterns.� If you haven't yet read �Implementation Patterns�, I recommend starting with that title. It's easier reading which is helpful when newer to a topic. Also while both books are very good, I liked �Implementation Patterns� better. (see my review on that title for why)

The actual content was excellent. The book only loses a point for the logistical issues in reading it.

More info at Amazon.com
More info at Amazon.co.uk

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I love this book, I'm half way through it and love the way of writing and the examples. It really god me thinking of how I write code. And manages old code.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic