• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Text Books in General

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
When I first started programming I would pick up a book on the subject thinking that it would teach me all about that subject, only to find that the examples were half finished, didnt work , or the explanation was too simple or complicated. Also examples jump from simple to complicated with large amounts of code to right, i.e a form with other 15 items in one exmple to set in a struts book.

My idea of a perfect text book to teach a subject is chapter one start with introduction to the subject. Chapter 2 a very simple example that works. and then each succesive chapter builds on that one example. Making sure that at the end of each chapter. You have a built a application that covers that chapter. You can then spend time playing with that application ensuring that you have learnt the lessons of that chapter.

A Kind of RUP view of teaching a subject.

Tony

Why should I lose weight? They make bigger overalls. And they sure don't make overalls for tiny ads:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic