• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Good Reference of EE Java

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello everybody:

I am a comp. sci. student and would be interested if you guys could list some good books on developing applications using Enterprise Java. I am new to this so please keep that in mind.

Thanks,
Tim

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello,

I'm in about the same boat. I'm starting a Networking II course (java) soon and would like to purchase a good companion book, something that does a good job at introducing J2EE.

Any recommendations?

Rick Stewart
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well I guess from the response, all the J2EE books must suck!

author and cow tipper
Hibernate Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There are alot of good books on J2EE development out there. Thing is, many of those books are written by people on this site, and they're too humble to suggest their books as the one to read. Personally, I don't suffer from that problem, but others do.

As an author and an egotist, I read a book and say "I could have written that better." However, occasionally, I read a book and think "Man, I really wish I wrote that, that was amazing!"

If you read the reviews on Amazon, I think you'll see that hundreds of other people feel the same way about the books I'm going to recommend.

For me, the following books fall into that category:

Head First Java

Head First Servlets and JSPs

Head First Enterprise Java Beans (EJB)

Head First Design Patterns

Head First OOA and D

The other book I would really recommend, although I don't think it's the easy and fun read that the Head First books are, is Expert One-on-One J2EE development without EJBs. This book is written by Rod Johnson (yes, that's his real name), who is extremely important with regards to the prominence of Spring and Hibernate, which seem to be the big, dominant application design and persistence patterns in current application development with Java

J2EE without EJBs with Rod Johnson

There are also a few SCJA certification guides I could recommend, or even a few WebSphere books I think are worth reading, but I might be biased on those topics.

Happy Reading!!!

-Cameron McKenzie

Rick Stewart
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey Kameron, thanks for stepping up to give me a little guidance. I have both Head First Java and Head First Design Patterns, and I enjoyed them both very much. I'll look up your other suggestions on Amazon to see which ones fits in the best with Java programming in the enterprise, and then I'll order up a copy.

Thanks again,

Rick...

Rick Stewart
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
just a quick note.

I've ordered up both Expert One-on-One J2EE Development without EJB & Head First EJB. These two will nicely round out the course text book.

thanks for the help.

Rick...

I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed - shakespear. Unarmed tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic