• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

java text book

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
In the spring, I will be teaching a programming languages course. Part of the course will cover Java. I am looking for a recommendation of a textbook. The students will be familiar with programming and Object-Oriented Programming (university junior/senior level). I learned Java via the internet and various out-dated books. I would like to provide the students with a better learning strategy. Here are a few topics I would like to cover:
  • Concurrent Programming - Threads
  • Reflection

• Thanks,
    Billy B

Marshal
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
      Number of slices to send:
      Optional 'thank-you' note:
    • Report post to moderator
    A bit expensive, but for people who already understand OO programming (do they really?) I would probably go for Horstmann and Cornell.
    Have you found our books page yet? Worth a visit. You will find Horstmann and Cornell reviewed there somewhere. They appear to have got as far as the 8th edition.

That is a book on how to program in Java; it is not a book about programming languages or compilers or anything like that.

Obviously other people will have different recommendations.

And welcome to JavaRanch

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic