JavaRanch Book & Software Promotions - Information for Authors and Publishers
We prefer to do promotions on new books or software, that is, published within the last six months. If the book or software is of particular interest, we may make an exception to this guideline.
- A promotion on one the highest traffic, independent sites dealing with Java Programming. See our statistics. We average over 100,000 unique visitors each week.
- An email announcement at the start to all registered users of JavaRanch. This mailing is currently going out to over 150,000 registered JavaRanch users.
- A banner ad to direct traffic to the forum with the promotion.
- A text ad on the top of the main forum page to direct traffic to the forum with the promotion.
- A sticky thread atop the relevant forum to call attention to the promo of the week.
- A blog posting announcement
- A mention on the twitter.com/coderanch feed
- Administrators and Moderators involvement to assist the Author.
- Selection and announcement of the winners and collection of the winners mailing address.
- Coordinate the scheduling of Promotions between JavaRanch personnel and Authors. Note that we request two weeks notice in advance of the promo to set things up.
- To send out four books, one to each address (anywhere in the world - we understand some countries get ebooks) of four winners that we have selected for the promotion.
- If enough time is available before a promotion, scheduling a book review (or manuscript if the book isn't published yet) with JavaRanch Personnel is advisable. Additional value can be obtained with 'See what our own Joe Javaengineer had to say'. Reviews can be scheduled by emailing Book Review Coordinator. - bookreviews AT javaranch DOT com
Author Setup Steps
- Set up your user Profile in the Forums area; fill in as much information as possible.
- Add a signature to the Authors profile that will promote your book.
- Spend about an hour familiarizing himself/herself with our software and culture prior to the promotion. Post new Topics and respond to our member's questions.
- Tuesday to Friday spend an hour a day, responding to posts and promoting your book.
- For each post, check the box 'Show Signature: include your profile signature.' The more you post, the more you promote your book.
The general scenario breaks down to:
- The Author expresses an interest in doing a promotion for a given date.
- If JavaRanch is interested in promoting the book, the Publisher and JavaRanch personnel schedule it.
- The Author creates his/her profile on the Big Moose Saloon.
- JavaRanch personnel add a signature to the author's profile which reflects author status.
- The Author spends time familiarizing themselves with the Forums.
- JavaRanch personnel send out announcements of the promotion.
- From Tuesday to Thursday, the Author posts to the forum, promoting the book.
- On Friday, JavaRanch Personnel select the winners and notifies the Publisher.
- The Publisher mails a copy of the book to each winner.
Jolt Productivity Award
About.com's Java Best of the Net Award
"In honor of the exceptional online Java Certification-related resource"
Check the main BookPromotions page for the schedule.
For questions about this page or to schedule a promotion, contact: bookpromotion AT javaranch DOT com