T h e . C o d e R a n c h . J o u r n a l May 2011 Edition
Howdy from all the CodeRanch staff, and welcome to the May edition of the CodeRanch Journal. This month's journal editor is bartender, Jaikiran Pai.
H o t . D o g ! ! ! W e . H a v e . a . S p o n s o r ! ! !
LearnNowJava.com is gleefully sponsoring this edition of the journal.
Master Java technologies with this library of practical video tutorials for all skill levels. Learn Java SE/EE, JSP, EJB, JSF, AJAX, JAX-WS, Spring 3.0, Hibernate and more from Java experts. Just $99.99 thru May 31st.
Order now at http://www.LearnNowJava.com/Default.aspx?src=RN1015J
I n t e r e s t i n g . C o d e R a n c h . F o r u m . P o s t s
* Ranchers discuss whether Swing is still popular for developing desktop applications - http://www.coderanch.com/t/538819/java/java/GUI-popular-Swing-desktop-apps
* Why does RAM always double during an upgrade - http://www.coderanch.com/t/537540/Mac/Why-does-RAM-always-double
* Interesting discussion on how games have evolved over the years - http://www.coderanch.com/t/537374/Android/Mobile/way-games-changed-over-past
* CodeRanch is not just about Java, we also have some interesting discussion on some other languages:
I n t e r e s t i n g . S t a f f . B l o g s
* Bartender, Jesper de Jong blogs about parallel collections in Scala - http://www.scala-notes.org/2011/05/scala-2-9-parallel-collections-for-mandelactors/
* Sheriff, David O'Meara blogs about setting up a development environment for Liferay - http://www.selikoff.net/2011/05/26/liferay-standard-development-environment/
B o o k . P r o m o t i o n s
There's a book promotion just about every week at the CodeRanch. Just ask a question about the book in the appropriate forum and you're eligible to win. Right now, Clojure in Action by Amit Rathore is up for grabs. Maybe you'll win a copy? http://www.coderanch.com/t/539051/clojure/Incubator/Welcome-Amit-Rathore
Winners of our past book promotions for the month of May are:
* Pro Android 3 - http://www.coderanch.com/t/538770/Android/Mobile/Winners-Pro-Android
* Beginning Android Games - http://www.coderanch.com/t/537848/Android/Mobile/Winners-Beginning-Android-Games
B o o k . R e v i e w s
* Agile Hiring - http://www.coderanch.com/t/537101/Book-Reviews/Agile-Hiring
* Software Build Systems: Principles and Experience - http://www.coderanch.com/t/537941/Book-Reviews/Software-Build-Systems-Principles-Experience
* Java Generics and Collections - http://www.coderanch.com/t/538418/Book-Reviews/Java-Generics-Collections
* Individuals and Interactions: An Agile Guide - http://www.coderanch.com/t/539313/Book-Reviews/Individuals-Interactions-Agile-Guide
I t ' s . N o t . J u s t . P r o g r a m m i n g
* Marshal, Ernest Friedman-Hill shares one of his many beautiful paintings http://www.coderanch.com/t/538711/md/Flower-girl
Some of his other paintings that he shared at CodeRanch, include:
* Have you seen some funny or useless comments in code? Here are some amusing ones http://www.coderanch.com/t/539102/md/Useless-comments-source-code
S u g g e s t i o n s / F e e d b a c k
If you have any general suggestions about the CodeRanch journal, then feel free to open a new thread in our Ranch Office forum http://www.coderanch.com/forums/f-10/Ranch-Office/
T h i s . M o n t h ' s . E d i t o r
Jaikiran Pai has been a member of JavaRanch since 2005 and a moderator since 2007. He works for JBoss and is part of the JBoss Application Server and JBoss EJB3 development team. You'll find him occasionally blogging at http://www.jaitechwriteups.blogspot.com/
J o u r n a l . A r c h i v e
Our previously published journals are available online: http://www.coderanch.com/how-to/java/JavaRanchJournal
And www.LearnNowJava.com, thanks for sponsoring this edition of the Journal.