- When you first sign up you are automatically given the rank of greenhorn. You have to earn the title of Ranch Hand!
- Ranch Hand
- After your 30th post the forum software automatically upgrades your rank to that of Ranch Hand. This is the last automatic rank change.
- Separate to the custom titles (see below), on occasion we offer members a Rancher title mostly because we feel like it. There is no criteria or benefit to this title, it gets applied if and when any staff member feels like it.
- Bartenders are people that have been recognized as generous, decent, helpful people and given the keys to a forum to do moderating as they see fit. They can edit, delete, or prune any posts in their forums. If you have a question about a particular forum, you should direct it to (one of) the forum's bartender(s).
- Saloon Keeper
- Saloon Keepers are recognized as the most productive Bartenders on the JavaRanch. At any given time, there are ten Saloon Keepers, whom are chosen by the Marshals. Saloon Keepers are also candidates to be promoted to Sheriff by the Trail Boss.
- Sheriffs are Saloon Keepers that have been recognized as being so generous, decent and helpful, that they have been given the keys to all of the forums and most of the rest of JavaRanch.
- Marshals are recognized as the most productive Sheriffs on the JavaRanch. At any given time, there are five Marshals, whom are chosen by the Trail Boss.
- Marshal Commander
- The Trail Boss picks one Marshal from time to time as someone who is most likely to be able to jump on issues as they come up.
- Authors are folks that have written a book.
- Trail Boss
- Paul Wheaton. 'Nuff said.
Some people have donated a big heap to JavaRanch and we let them pick their own custom title. If you'd like to pick your own custom title, check out the Tip Jar.
Why have greenhorn and ranch hand?
We want strangers to the ranch to feel welcome and the best way to make them feel welcome is to recognize them and say, "Howdy!" The greenhorn title lets us recognize the new ranch hands. Greenhorn has nothing to do with Java knowledge.
Why don't you have more automatic titles when a person posts 100 times or 1,000 times?
Now that we've changed to NewForumSoftware, we might look at adding some more automatic titles.