This week's book giveaway is in the Clojure forum.
We're giving away four copies of Clojure in Action and have Amit Rathore and Francis Avila on-line!
See this thread for details.
Win a copy of Clojure in Action this week in the Clojure forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

NetBeans/Eclipse with Team development

 
Sri Rangan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 160
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I understand NetBeans and Eclipse are the 2 great open Source IDEs in the market.
I have the following questions before I decide to go with open source IDEs over Visual Cafe or Visualage or WSAD.
1) How could we use open source IDE in a Team environment.When I say team environment, having a common repository with client.
2) To build Swing UI, I think open source IDEs have drag and drop features. Do they have the ability to create Model class with Property Chane listeners as we have in VAJ
3)What kind version control can we use?
4) What are the limitations for open source IDEs over VAJ or Visual Cafe etc....

If NetBeans or Eclipe support all features as VAJ or Visual Cafe, Why should some one pay money and buy WSAD or Visual Cafe or JBuilder?
Your inputs with some URLs will be greatky appreciated because I am in a position to decide one way or other?
Thanks
Sri Rangan
 
Ilja Preuss
author
Sheriff
Posts: 14112
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Sri Rangan:
1) How could we use open source IDE in a Team environment.When I say team environment, having a common repository with client.
2) To build Swing UI, I think open source IDEs have drag and drop features. Do they have the ability to create Model class with Property Chane listeners as we have in VAJ
3)What kind version control can we use?
4) What are the limitations for open source IDEs over VAJ or Visual Cafe etc....

If NetBeans or Eclipe support all features as VAJ or Visual Cafe, Why should some one pay money and buy WSAD or Visual Cafe or JBuilder?
Your inputs with some URLs will be greatky appreciated because I am in a position to decide one way or other?

1) I don't understand the question...
2) Eclipse doesn't have an inbuild GUI-builder, though there might exist third party plugins for this in the future.
3) Eclipse has inbuild support for CVS. There are also open source plugins available for StarTeam, ClearCase and Perforce.
4) I don't think there is any limitation inherent to open source IDEs. I don't think there are any two IDEs with identical feature sets, so if an open source IDE is missing a critical feature for you, you can choose between implementing it yourself (probably with the help of others) or buying a non-open source IDE.
 
Sri Rangan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 160
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
My question in a nut shell was,
Can we live with Open source IDE (with plug ins) for all Java developement in a Team enviroment including GUI building, EJB development, XML development, JSP and Servlet so that i need spend money to buy IDE like WSAD, VisualAge, JBuilder or Visual Cafe.
Thanks
Alagan
 
Sri Rangan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 160
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
"i need NOT spend money to buy"
Please read with "NOT"
 
John Dale
Ranch Hand
Posts: 399
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
This is not an abstract problem. Look at the features available in the open source projects you mentioned, and look at the features available in the commercial products based on these open source projects (and other commercial products as well). Then consider whether you need the additional features of the commercial products, and whether they are worth to you what they will cost you.
 
Kyle Brown
author
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3892
5
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Sri Rangan:
My question in a nut shell was,
Can we live with Open source IDE (with plug ins) for all Java developement in a Team enviroment including GUI building, EJB development, XML development, JSP and Servlet so that i need spend money to buy IDE like WSAD, VisualAge, JBuilder or Visual Cafe.
Thanks
Alagan

The answer (at least for Eclipse) is no. WSAD adds the suppport for J2EE development (JSP's, Servlets and EJB's). While it is possible to develop for J2EE without it, it is MUCH easier to use the tools the vendors provide.
Kyle
 
Ilja Preuss
author
Sheriff
Posts: 14112
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Kyle Brown:

The answer (at least for Eclipse) is no. WSAD adds the suppport for J2EE development (JSP's, Servlets and EJB's). While it is possible to develop for J2EE without it, it is MUCH easier to use the tools the vendors provide.
Kyle

On the other hand, the situation might change. There are many open source projects regarding plugins for eclipse, some of them just in the planning phase, some of them already usable.
Take a look at http://eclipse-plugins.2y.net/ or search for eclipse at sourceforge.net.
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic