aspose file tools*
The moose likes IDEs, Version Control and other tools and the fly likes Multiple JDK profiles with Eclipse Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of JavaScript Promises Essentials this week in the JavaScript forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Engineering » IDEs, Version Control and other tools
Bookmark "Multiple JDK profiles with Eclipse" Watch "Multiple JDK profiles with Eclipse" New topic
Author

Multiple JDK profiles with Eclipse

Manish Hatwalne
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 22, 2001
Posts: 2579

I need different JDK versions (1.3, 1.4 etc), to test my app. How can I configure multiple profiles in eclipse?
Also, I need to configure eclipse such that standard java docs help (String class etc) should be availble in the IDE itself instead of opening a new help window (similar to JCreator). How do I do this? It would be great if I could link different version documents to different versions.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
TIA,
- Manish
Ilja Preuss
author
Sheriff

Joined: Jul 11, 2001
Posts: 14112
Originally posted by Manish Hatwalne:
I need different JDK versions (1.3, 1.4 etc), to test my app. How can I configure multiple profiles in eclipse?

Window/Preferences/Java/Installed JREs

Also, I need to configure eclipse such that standard java docs help (String class etc) should be availble in the IDE itself instead of opening a new help window (similar to JCreator). How do I do this?

You should see a snippet of the javadoc if you hover the mouse cursor over a class name in the source code. Pressing F2 should then give you the full javadoc popup.
In 3.0, you can also open the Javadoc view. Window/Open View/Javadoc.


The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny - it is the light that guides your way. - Heraclitus
Manish Hatwalne
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 22, 2001
Posts: 2579

Originally posted by Ilja Preuss:

You should see a snippet of the javadoc if you hover the mouse cursor over a class name in the source code. Pressing F2 should then give you the full javadoc popup.
In 3.0, you can also open the Javadoc view. Window/Open View/Javadoc.

Pressing F2 does not help, it does show a light yellow popup, but it only shows "java.lang.String" in it. I don't have 3.0 though
- Manish
Ilja Preuss
author
Sheriff

Joined: Jul 11, 2001
Posts: 14112
Originally posted by Manish Hatwalne:
Pressing F2 does not help, it does show a light yellow popup, but it only shows "java.lang.String" in it. I don't have 3.0 though

Than most probably your default JRE is not a JDK. If you configure a JDK (instead of a JRE), Eclipse should automatically find the src.zip and extract the javadoc comments.
Manish Hatwalne
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 22, 2001
Posts: 2579

Originally posted by Ilja Preuss:

Than most probably your default JRE is not a JDK. If you configure a JDK (instead of a JRE), Eclipse should automatically find the src.zip and extract the javadoc comments.

RIGHT!!! Eclipse took JRE path instead of JDK, changed it and now it works! Thanks a ton!!!
- Manish
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Multiple JDK profiles with Eclipse