I'm running redhat 7.0. I thought that I correctly installed the jdk1.3. At the command promt I issued: java -version it It said the jvm I was using was KAFFEE(i've never heard of it) and it said that the version of java was 1.1. Now I'm wondering if this came with my redhat package, because it clearly isn't jdk1.3. If this is the case, is there a classpath variable I need to edit and if so how can I edit that variable, and where is it. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,' Sean
You need to either modify the system PATH, or put links to the Sun java executables in place of the Kaffe ones. I did this with a RedHat 7 install recently, and it more than tripled the performance of my serverside Java apps, so it's well worth doing. Do a "locate javac" to find where the executables are.
Heh, I got it all installed, (had to upgrade to glibc 2.2.2, I don't think that went quite right which could be my problem but....) Everytime I type javac hello.java I get a segmentation fault. Anyone else ever gotten this problem??
Ryan Headley<br /><a href="http://www.sudovi.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.sudovi.com</a>
sean, this may not be of any help since i know very little about linux, but you can likely use the rpm package management program that comes with rh to look at all the packages installed and remove the kaffee (or jdk1.1) installation altogether. there's gotta be some redhat gui program that allows you to configure what's on your system.... ?
John M. Gabriele
Joined: Feb 18, 2001
doh!! sorry for all the duplicate posts. i was hitting submit reply and my message wasn't coming up when i was brought back to the thread. whoops.
Joined: Jan 07, 1999
I've removed the duplicates. To help make sure you don't do this again: 1. Trust the Ranch. If it says your post has been added, it has. If you don't see it hit Reload or Refresh to make sure you get the lastes version of the thread. 2. Investigate your browser settings. Make sure you have your browser set to check the web site for every request. The IE defaults are particularly bad at this. Netscape users only tend to get this problem if using a caching proxy.
I tried this one. In the SUN Java site, it was given that jdk1.2 is not compatible with Linux 7.0 (you get segmentation fault core dump), and you have to install jdk1.3. I could install it successfully. Thanks, Ravikiran.
You have to remove the Kaffee and there is one other JDK on there that I don't remember the name. You have to remove these before ever istalling the JDK1.3 or it won't work right. It may seem to work at first, but you will notice some bugs later one. You can use the RPM manager to remove those packages. Again, remove before Install. Very Important!!
Originally posted by Gregg Bolinger: You have to remove the Kaffee and there is one other JDK on there that I don't remember the name. You have to remove these before ever istalling the JDK1.3 or it won't work right. It may seem to work at first, but you will notice some bugs later one. You can use the RPM manager to remove those packages. Again, remove before Install. Very Important!!
Gregg, Thanks for posting. I've been experiencing segmenation faults in Red Hat Linux V 7.1 with Sun's JDK 1.3.1_01. Removing the other JDK's before re-installing Sun's JDK solved my problem.