aspose file tools*
The moose likes Linux / UNIX and the fly likes Should I focus on Red hat or Mandrake 10.0 official? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Engineering » Linux / UNIX
Bookmark "Should I focus on Red hat or Mandrake 10.0 official?" Watch "Should I focus on Red hat or Mandrake 10.0 official?" New topic
Author

Should I focus on Red hat or Mandrake 10.0 official?

Jesse Torres
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 25, 2004
Posts: 985
I am entirely new to Linux. I posted an earlier topic on which Linux version to commence my learning. Someone recommended Mandrake 10.0. Unfortunately, I am having trouble installing Mandrake.Here is that old thread

Should I try a different version of Linux? Should I instead base my learning on the Red hat version? If so, is Red hat free? Where can I obtain a free Red hat download? Is there a specific Red hat version?

Thanks,


-- <br />4 8 15 16 23 42
Stefan Wagner
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 02, 2003
Posts: 1923

redhat is fedora today.

Kanotix is told to be easily installed.


http://home.arcor.de/hirnstrom/bewerbung
Jesse Torres
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 25, 2004
Posts: 985
Originally posted by Stefan Wagner:
redhat is fedora today.

Kanotix is told to be easily installed.


Which is free and better to learn?
Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Jun 25, 2001
Posts: 16054
    
  21

You can D/L all RedHat releases up to 9 for free from redhat.com or any of a number of mirror sites. Same with Fedora. Fedora is what would have otherwise been RedHat 10 & 11 if they hadn't decided to go Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL). You can D/L RHEL source code and roll your own (or get a pre-packaged system free from places like whitebox, but to get the "eal" RHEL, you have to buy it from Red Hat.

Mandrake is based on the same principles as RedHat/Fedora, but target more for home use, whereas Red Hat was targeted for business use.

For just playing around, suit yourself. If you're looking for a job, go with Fedora or RHEL. Red Hat 9 and earlier have passed end-of-life.


Customer surveys are for companies who didn't pay proper attention to begin with.
Arjun Shastry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 13, 2003
Posts: 1874
Jesse,I was too recieving the same error when I was trying to install Mandrake 10 and Mandrake Official 10."I can't recover from this" is the same error I was getting.Insert CD 2 first and then try.It might work.
I was finally successful with Mandrake Official 10.But X server was not working.If you have laptop,then X Server is going to give you a problem.Keep your monitor/graphics controller info ready before installing Mandrake.I tried with diffrent resolutions and monitor settings but didn't work.I reinstalled Mandrake.It took me 30 minutes and X server running.
Regards


MH
Arjun Shastry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 13, 2003
Posts: 1874
Originally posted by Jesse Torres:


Which is free and better to learn?

mandrake is 'easier' to learn.UI is great and documentation is free and easy to read.Red Hat is fine for advanced users.
Jesse Torres
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 25, 2004
Posts: 985
Originally posted by Arjun Shastry:
Jesse,I was too recieving the same error when I was trying to install Mandrake 10 and Mandrake Official 10."I can't recover from this" is the same error I was getting.Insert CD 2 first and then try.It might work.
I was finally successful with Mandrake Official 10.But X server was not working.If you have laptop,then X Server is going to give you a problem.Keep your monitor/graphics controller info ready before installing Mandrake.I tried with diffrent resolutions and monitor settings but didn't work.I reinstalled Mandrake.It took me 30 minutes and X server running.
Regards


I tried putting in CD 2 first. It still didn't work. Should I first partition the HD. I have a Dell Laptop Inspiron 8200 40GG HD Win XP Pro. Should this HD be partitioned before even attempting installation?

Also I don't know how to use the Md5 susms tool. What steps should I take after downloading image files?

Thanks very much,
Arjun Shastry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 13, 2003
Posts: 1874
I partitioned 20 GB into two 10 GB each.on C: Windows XP and then started Mandrake installation.I purchased CDs from one LUG man.I didn not recieve Checksum error.
Jesse Torres
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 25, 2004
Posts: 985
Originally posted by Arjun Shastry:
I partitioned 20 GB into two 10 GB each.on C: Windows XP and then started Mandrake installation.I purchased CDs from one LUG man.I didn not recieve Checksum error.


Is it a requirement to first partition the hard drive? Also is there a free partitioning tool?

Thanks
[ October 06, 2004: Message edited by: Jesse Torres ]
Kay Liew
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 26, 2003
Posts: 112
Personally, i prefer Red Hat8/9 over Mandrake 9 (don't know much about 10 yet). I was always tempted to use Mandrake because of their nice looking screenshot in mandrakesoft.com website. .. ..... to make story short. Mandrake 9 has plenty missing files require for third part tools such as Ksim, firefox etc. I am currently running Red Hat 9 (Not Fedora) with latest patches/updates and everything seems stable. So far so good. To me, both Red hat and Mandrake are equally easy to learn. Red Hat has Gnome and KDE and I think Mandrake only has KDE ?


Unity can only be manifested by the Binary. Unity itself and the idea of Unity are already two.
Jesse Torres
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 25, 2004
Posts: 985
Originally posted by Kay Liew:
Personally, i prefer Red Hat8/9 over Mandrake 9 (don't know much about 10 yet). I was always tempted to use Mandrake because of their nice looking screenshot in mandrakesoft.com website. .. ..... to make story short. Mandrake 9 has plenty missing files require for third part tools such as Ksim, firefox etc. I am currently running Red Hat 9 (Not Fedora) with latest patches/updates and everything seems stable. So far so good. To me, both Red hat and Mandrake are equally easy to learn. Red Hat has Gnome and KDE and I think Mandrake only has KDE ?


Is Red Hat free? From a employment perspective, should I focus on learning Mandrake or Red Hat? If Red Hat is the answer, can I start with Fedora, since it's Red Hat based?

Thanks,
Mani Ram
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 11, 2002
Posts: 1140
Originally posted by Kay Liew:
Red Hat has Gnome and KDE and I think Mandrake only has KDE ?


I think Mandrake comes with KDE, Gnome & IceWM.


Mani
Quaerendo Invenietis
Arjun Shastry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 13, 2003
Posts: 1874
Yes,Mandrake Official 10 has kde and gnome.I m not sure about last one.One thing I like about Mandrake is startup time is very less unlike Fedora which I found comparitively slow.
Sanjaya Sugiarto
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 25, 2004
Posts: 229
Try SuSE ( http://www.suse.com ). It is stable and clean. Easy to install and configure well.

Fedora (Red Hat's community edition) and Mandrake are too unstable and buggy.

If you are really a beginner than you should try Knoppix ( http://www.knoppix.org ). Using Knoppix, you dont need to install. Just pop in the CD and it runs.


<a href="http://www.wi.hs-furtwangen.de" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Business Information Technology - Hochschule Furtwangen University, Germany</a>
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Should I focus on Red hat or Mandrake 10.0 official?