• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

configure Internet wireless router

 
Yahya Elyasse
Ranch Hand
Posts: 510
Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
I installed Leopard kalaway 1.5.3 on my Intel PC .it is working correctly.
I recently bought a TP-Link 108M Wireless ADSL2+ router (TD-W8920G) . it is working correctly on my 2 other OS (windows vista and Linux).
However it doesn't work on Leopard Intel partition : when i type url address 192.168.1.1 in safari browser i can't get the web page to configure the router.
when i visited the web site of TP-Link company, i noticed they probably don't provide driver for their router for the Mac OS X platform. can someone confirm or refute this ?
if there is no driver for this type of router to work on my leopard partition : what other workarounds and/or solutions you suggest me to set up Internet connection on my intel leopard partition?

thanks.
 
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 64958
86
IntelliJ IDE Java jQuery Mac Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Driver? For a router? Does it not just communicate via TCP/IP?
 
Yahya Elyasse
Ranch Hand
Posts: 510
Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Bear Bibeault:
Driver? For a router? Does it not just communicate via TCP/IP?

i'm new using routers so i don't know much how they work.
so what's the problem with this router on mac os x ? why doesn't it work ?
is there something blocking this tcp/ip communication ?
 
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 64958
86
IntelliJ IDE Java jQuery Mac Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
This is probably something you need to bring up with tech support for the router. I've never had a problem using any router with my Macs, but I've never heard of that brand.

Are you connecting directly or through wireless (which is much more complicated)?
 
Yahya Elyasse
Ranch Hand
Posts: 510
Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Bear Bibeault:
This is probably something you need to bring up with tech support for the router. I've never had a problem using any router with my Macs, but I've never heard of that brand.

Are you connecting directly or through wireless (which is much more complicated)?


I'm connecting directly (not wireless). i use the phone plug to connect my router and it uses adsl connection.
i was thinking this issue is only caused by safari browser ; but even though i use firefox browser for mac and type the address 192.168.1.1 it doesn't connect nor does it display the router configuration web page.
may be the port on which the router is listening is blocked on my mac os ? or is it something else ?
i have no Idea because i'm new to Mac os system and don't have deep knowledge about this system internals.
 
Lasse Koskela
author
Sheriff
Posts: 11962
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
What does your Mac say when you run this command?

Do you see an IP address that's in the 192.168.* subnet? Can you ping that address?
 
Yahya Elyasse
Ranch Hand
Posts: 510
Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Lasse Koskela:
What does your Mac say when you run this command?

Do you see an IP address that's in the 192.168.* subnet? Can you ping that address?


Hello Lasse,

i tried the command above & got only one entry result :



as you can see there is no entry with 192.168.1.*
does this mean the router was not detected by my mac os ? could it be that this router brand hardware is not supported by my leopard os ?

i have little knowledge with the Mac OS X platform , so i would appreciate if you help me configure my router to work properly on my mac box.

thanks
 
Lasse Koskela
author
Sheriff
Posts: 11962
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yes, your Mac hasn't been able to connect to the wireless network.

If you click on the Airport logo () in the top right corner of the menu bar, can you see your network in the list? That list should include all the wireless networks in your computer's reach. If your network is not on that list, the router is either malfunctioning or configured to not advertise its network SSID (the name of the wireless network it's running). If this is the case, you should try and connect to the router via an ethernet cable.
 
Yahya Elyasse
Ranch Hand
Posts: 510
Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Lasse Koskela:
Yes, your Mac hasn't been able to connect to the wireless network.

If you click on the Airport logo () in the top right corner of the menu bar, can you see your network in the list? That list should include all the wireless networks in your computer's reach. If your network is not on that list, the router is either malfunctioning or configured to not advertise its network SSID (the name of the wireless network it's running). If this is the case, you should try and connect to the router via an ethernet cable.


Hi & thanks for your replies.
in fact i'm not using wireless connection. I connect my router with the phone cable and also with my machine. the router is using ADSL to connect to Internet .
my router is correctly functioning with my windows vista & Linux OS. so i'm sure the router hardware is functioning correctly.
thus i can confirm i connect to the router via an ethernet cable ;but still not able to have it work.
any further help is much appreciated.
thanks
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic