wood burning stoves 2.0*
The moose likes HTML, CSS and JavaScript and the fly likes JavaFX Script Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Murach's Java Servlets and JSP this week in the Servlets forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Engineering » HTML, CSS and JavaScript
Bookmark "JavaFX Script" Watch "JavaFX Script" New topic
Author

JavaFX Script

Mohammed Yousuff
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Posts: 198
Can you please explain what this book focus on... Do we want to be a expert in JS to read this Book ??


My Thoughts : http://passion4java.blogspot.com
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value.
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 60766
    
  65

It'd probably be a better idea to wait until the book promotion is announced before posting questions. In fact, I do not believe that question posted before the announcement are eligible for the drawing.


[Asking smart questions] [Bear's FrontMan] [About Bear] [Books by Bear]
Mohammed Yousuff
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Posts: 198
welcome James L. Weaver to Javaranch, can you explain me the objectives of this book.
Ben Souther
Sheriff

Joined: Dec 11, 2004
Posts: 13410

"Mohammed Yousuff M N",
Please check your private messages regarding an important administrative matter.
-Ben


Java API J2EE API Servlet Spec JSP Spec How to ask a question... Simple Servlet Examples jsonf
James Weaver
author
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 11, 2007
Posts: 40
The main objective of the book is to teach JavaFX Script. It exists to help build Rich Internet Applications (RIA). I had high hopes in 1995 that the JVM would become ubiquitous. Then the browser wars happened, so the dream of an RIA world degraded into building applications using technologies and protocols (the Web, HTTP, HTML, etc.) that were designed to share scientific information. We then stretched these technologies to be able to accommodate applications, and the result in many cases are applications that are hard to write and maintain. I see JavaFX Script as a way to achieve RIA that fully leverages the power of Java on the client.


Thanks,<br />James L. (Jim) Weaver<br /><a href="http://JavaFXpert.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">"Helping you become a JavaFXpert" weblog</a>
Mohammed Yousuff
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Posts: 198
James Weaver Thanks a lot for your detail explanations
Rahesh Kumar
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 10, 2004
Posts: 53
Originally posted by James Weaver:
I see JavaFX Script as a way to achieve RIA that fully leverages the power of Java on the client.


Jim,

I am not trying to debate, but just want to get it clarified! Is it not an overhead to push code to client and then execute, rather than a client-server model? I thought that was one of the drawbacks fo the Applet technology!

Kindly clarify! --- many a thanks in advance
[ April 02, 2008: Message edited by: Rahesh Kumar ]
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 41068
    
  43
One of the aims of JavaFX (and of the "Consumer JRE") is to address some of the drawbacks of applets. It still makes sense to offload processing to the client; keeping a farm of servers that run web applications is expensive. So it depends on your perspective whether it's a good thing or a bad thing to run code on the client. What's not in doubt is that Java (applets or JavaFX) can provide a richer client environment than HTML/CSS/DOM/JavaScript.


Ping & DNS - my free Android networking tools app
Rahesh Kumar
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 10, 2004
Posts: 53
Originally posted by Ulf Dittmer:
One of the aims of JavaFX (and of the "Consumer JRE") is to address some of the drawbacks of applets. It still makes sense to offload processing to the client; keeping a farm of servers that run web applications is expensive. So it depends on your perspective whether it's a good thing or a bad thing to run code on the client. What's not in doubt is that Java (applets or JavaFX) can provide a richer client environment than HTML/CSS/DOM/JavaScript.


@Ulf,

Thanks for replying! Though servers may prove costly to host the web application, offloading can be malicious and vulnerable too, IMHO.
Yeah!! When we see some sample implementation, JavaFX/Applets give some life to the web apps, which the rest of the technologies don't!

For the benefit of others
=========================

Ulf has thrown light on "Consumer JRE"! This is an update to the Java SE 6.
Refer this article for more information!!
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 41068
    
  43
offloading can be malicious and vulnerable

I don't really see how. The Java client sandbox is rather more secure than executing JavaScript in a browser.
Rahesh Kumar
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 10, 2004
Posts: 53
Originally posted by Ulf Dittmer:

I don't really see how. The Java client sandbox is rather more secure than executing JavaScript in a browser.


Well. At the time of execution, Applets can gain control to the client system's resources, which is little unsafe. In a broswer based application, once scripts and other necessary things are offloaded to the client environment, not the entire functional code.

I had this thoughtfrom some source. What would be the advantage in the security aspect, if it is a sandbox, rather than a browser?
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 27, 2002
Posts: 8904

Does the client need to install JDK ? Or it gets downloaded ? How is multiple version of jdk etc handled.


Groovy
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 27, 2002
Posts: 8904

Originally posted by Rahesh Kumar:


Well. At the time of execution, Applets can gain control to the client system's resources, which is little unsafe. In a broswer based application, once scripts and other necessary things are offloaded to the client environment, not the entire functional code.

I had this thoughtfrom some source. What would be the advantage in the security aspect, if it is a sandbox, rather than a browser?


Can you tell us the resosurces over which applets gain control over ? thanks
Rahesh Kumar
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 10, 2004
Posts: 53
Originally posted by Prad Dip:


Can you tell us the resosurces over which applets gain control over ? thanks


@Prad,

I am stating what I know of!

There are two models in which applets can be loaded.

1. Loaded from the network.
2. Loaded from the local file system.

"Files" could be one good example of the resource, over which the Applet can take control of. I do accept that fact that Applets cannot ordinarily take control over, or change the file system. They need to be loaded with certain policies. They are called "Signed applets".
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 27, 2002
Posts: 8904

Only signed applets can access the files. I dont see any problem here.
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: JavaFX Script
 
Similar Threads
How did you find Javaranch?
WA #1.....word association
Are Session Activation Listeners configured in DD?
New person
Got my Head First EJB today